Topic

Lighter and (in my opinion) better

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Lighter and (in my opinion) better

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"but you techno-geeks would much rather carry your cool gear than improvise certain things in the woods."

That assumes us "techno-geeks" slum around down in the woods with you lowlanders. ;=)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

One problem (not just for techno geeks, which I am not) is that (just so the beginners here are aware) cutting green wood is illegal on most public lands. You basically have to stick with stuff that's on the ground and dead unless you have a woodcutting permit. A lot of places where I like to backpack, there is insufficient wood available to make it easy–or desirable–to find material for wooden tent stakes. In the time it takes to find and sharpen half a dozen tent stakes, I could have dinner ready and be watching the sunset as I eat. Plus that foot-long stake, assuming I were able to get it into the ground, has to be removed in the morning, just to be considerate to the next person to come along.

Also, I never thought of using a knife to chop wood. If I want to chop wood, I'll take a hatchet! My dinky little Leatherman Micra works fine to make frizz sticks for kindling, to sharpen points on dead sticks and to clean fish. However, the "blades" I use the most are the scissors and the pliers. IMHO, it's the sharpness of the blade that counts most. Skill helps, too–read Ty Ty's story of the hunter above. Personally, though, I'd take a good fixed blade hunting knife if I were hunting.

Lighter may be better or it may not be. Most of the time, for me, it is. It's so much easier–and lots more fun–to hike with a small lightweight pack! If the lighter alternative is uncomfortable for me, though, I won't do it. I learned my lesson on that a few years ago–bought an item (NeoAir, which some really love) because it was lighter, tried to be comfortable with it, endured many miserable sleepless nights and ended up returning it to REI.

The whole choice of whether a lighter item is better is definitely in the category of Hike Your Own Hike and Your Mileage May Vary!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I realize this topic has devolved into a discussion about knives, but recently I switched to Gossamer Gear Lightrek 3 poles. These are not adjustable. I think this is better. I bought them at the size that fits my tent and just hold them at the bottom of the handles. I never have to fuss with adjusting them each night and morning when I set up the tent. I never have to fight with them when the little adjusting thing won't work. They honestly work fine without adjustability. I now consider adjustable poles an "nice to have" at best but not a crucial "must have".

Nathan R
    BPL Member

@nathanr

Locale: TX

Innov8 roclite. I originally got these for trail running. They were several ounces lighter than my previous running shoes, better grip, lower center of gravity so fewer trips, stopped having IT band problems, lasted for over 2000 miles of running and hiking in mud, snow, mountains, desert, and rainforest. Ithink they're warmer in the winter than my old boots. .

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools