Topic

yerba mate for overall performance?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition yerba mate for overall performance?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

i recently got my cycling groove back. i brew a sweet jar full of mate every evening, adding ginger, tulsi and lemon. let it steep oer'nite and imbibe every a.m. on an empty stomach. possibly a credit to this elixir? i feel like my fitness level is much higher than anticipated. mate is a widely known fat burner, teems with vits and mins and powerhouse antioxidants. honestly, i feel so much lighter and firmer when i make it a regular addition to my diet. my mind too feels dialed. anyone have any experiences of their own to share? lt

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Locale: Northern California

used to be addicted to mate for about a year, no clue why i stopped. I think it had to do with the cost, but not that i got a better job i should start back up. that stuff is great, coffee without the gitters, it kinda has the effect ginseng does on me. lots of energy, more focus. great stuff, i should bring it on the JMT this year…

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

hit me up with a pm if/when u find yerself jonesin' and/or too broke fer some on the JMT –i'll send some trail magic yer way

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

What brand do you buy, or do you make it yourself? If so, can you give us a recipe?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Caffeine has been proven to slightly increase athletic performance in several studies. Yerba mate is known to be a vasodialator allowing better blood flow. The same result can be had from wearing compression clothing made specifically for cycling. I've been doing quite a bit of research on this sort of thing as I am a runner and am building up to an eventual half-marathon.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

There is strong evidence linking Mate to oral cancer.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

That is interesting Kat. Makes me happy I use the compression socks instead. I've been reading a bit about the link to heart problems when used with other medications or other supplements. There is also some evidence of liver issues when taken with naproxen. Definitely an interesting topic.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

The oral cancer has been primarily linked to repetitive hot water consumption and the cheap metals in the bombillas they use in argentina…

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

addison~

http://guayaki.com/category/12/Loose-Leaf-Mate.html

i've been purchasing the loose leaf traditional and amping it to suit my style

depending on the strength which you prefer/can tolerate, i'd recommend start by following the package directions.

expirimentation necessary of course.

hmmm…isn't everything and anything linked to cancer in the end?

hence all the more reason to make the days count. :)

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Wow, that is some expensive mate! I don't know the demographics of your neighborhood, but if you have a Latino grocery store nearby you should be able to get yerba mate (in the tea and coffee aisle) for less than $4.00 for 2.2 pounds. Here in Boston it's $1.65 for that amount, usually Cruz de Malta brand.

Also re: metal bombillas (filter straws), there's always wood/ bamboo.mate

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

oh, i only buy it when it's 50% off.
    i stock up. :)

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Locale: Northern California

HAHA guayaki is from my hometown of sebastopol, love their stuff

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

Oh oh, I have a bombilla from Argentina …

(I don't drink mate frequently, but do think it's important to drink it the real way. That is, buy it by the kilo and not by the tea bag. And as my Argentinians friends warned "oh no, never drink it in the evening.")

I like Cruz de Malta brand.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools