Topic

Day Pack vs GoLite Jam

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Day Pack vs GoLite Jam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    c c

@ccwave

Hi-I'm new to the forum. Hope this doesn't come across as a dumb question

I have somewhat lightweight backpack of my own, but want to get a day pack for day trips. My daughter has started to pack with me (she doesn't have her own pack yet-we have to borrow)Was wondering if I should try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting something like a GoLite Jam and use it when I go on day hikes and she could use when we go on overnighters. Would the GoLite Jam work as a day pack or is it overkill? Is there another pack that would work better as a day pack and possible pack for my daughter? Should I bag the idea of trying to do these two things with one pack? If so, what would you recommend for a day pack? Rei Flash 18? Something else?

Thanks

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

The Jam is now a new product name from Golite in a 35/50/70L set of choices. The names in 2011, for these sizes were the Peak/Jam/Pinnacle. The Jam 2011 is a 50L pack, that sounds too big for any of the contexts you described of day-hike and overnighter.
    Also the pack has different lengths which fit different back lengths, most adult males would be a large, most females if also younger more a medium or even a small. Having the optimal length is optimal for the frameless pack to be as comfortable as possible. Conversely, if you're lightly loading it then its fit is less important.

Your needs in the Golite family sounds a bit more suited to the Peak (37L) which had a removeable hipbelt which would be more of a daypack (more winter with more clothing stored for stopping and perhaps more emergency kit), which I use more a winter daypack and for business trips hand-luggage. I have a Jam 2011 50L which is more sized for multi-night 3/4 season.

Did you mean the Jam 35?
    http://www.golite.com/Jam-35L-Pack-Unisex-P46811.aspx

c c

@ccwave

Yes, I was referring to the Jam35L
    could it double as a day pack for me/backpack for daughter?

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Possibly, 35L is a large daysack and it compresses down to similar to a 20L – are your back lengths in the same range?

http://www.golite.com/images/GoLite/sizing/packs.gif

Its a unisex.

If its lightly loaded the back length is less important as you more just have the weight on your shoulders and don't really need the hipbelt. If its heavily loaded then if you have one for say your daughter and its too short for you then the shoulder pads are trying to take too much weight so if heavy its less comfy, conversely if you gave a too-tall a pack to your daughter then the shoulder straps won't be holding it close to the body and it tends to concertina.

So think about the combinations of weight and back length. It might work as explained above.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

GoLite makes the Jam in both men's and women's models. It is not unisex. Since you're shopping for your daughter to use as an overnight pack, I would definitely buy her the women's model. There is a difference for the size, alignment and location of straps and waiste belt for women's packs – better for your daughter to comfortably carry. Yet, for you to use it as a day pack, it would be fine.

I think the volumes quoted here were for the men's packs, not the women's. I own both a women's Pinnacle (50L) and Jam (~38L), both in size medium. Both are nice comfortable packs. I've been using the Pinnacle for over a year now, including several week trips and a CT thru-hike last summer. It held up well and carried all loads comfortably. I just got the Jam so I haven't used it overnight yet, but it is very similar to the Pinnacle, just smaller.

Checkout GoLite's website for complete specs to match your daughter's age, height, weight, torso, shoulder and waist measurements and body-type, etc, but I suspect the Jam medium would be fine for her. For reference, I am 5'-2",108 lbs.

c c

@ccwave

Thank you both for the info. I will look into the specs for the woman sizes

c c

@ccwave

http://www.golite.com/Jam-35L-Pack-Unisex-P46811.aspx
    This one does look like it's unisex

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Zowzah! This is new. I was just on GoLite's site less than 2 weeks ago. i stand corrected, it looks like they have discontiued the Pinnacle and now the Jam is only unisex – which actually means it's men's. Shucks, GoLite sold us ladies out! darn!

However, there are probably still plenty of sites still selling the 2011 men's or women's pinnacle and jam. I would just google it. (Although, once word spreads, there may be a run on the 2011 packs still out there.)

Also, not sure if you noticed, but on the Golite site, when you click on the "comparison chart" link under the product information, you'll see the spec sheet for the 2011 women's jam and pinnacle.

Try Uncle Dan's online.I just bought my Jam from them last month for $69.99. You can also try the gear swap forum on this site.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

cc,

also on Golite.com – in their "clearance closet" they have the women's 2011 Jam for 69.99, but only in size large.

Good Luck!

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

CC, I think you could easily use the Jam as a double-duty day pack, even the old 50L version – if it's only 1/3 full, obviously going to be a fair amount of unused space, but so what, as long as the load is light it'll carry fine. I have 2 of the 2011 Jams, one Medium (for my wife) and one Small (for my daughter). It's a good all-around pack and very well made.

Kim Coupounas
    BPL Member

@golite

Hi Susan,

Kim & Coup – co-founders of GoLite here. We didn't sell any ladies out. After years of experimentation and testing we have a pattern for the Jam pack group that works very well over a very wide range of Women's and Men's body types – they are most definately unisex, not Men's.

Hope you get to try one!

-Kim & Coup

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I have the 2011 version of the Jam which is pretty much the 35L version this year. It is an awesome day pack. The reason is because it has tremendous compression ability both at the bottom of the back and across the center of the main compartment and of course the upper collar can be rolled down and secured. In fact, I just got back today from a day hike up Bison Peak in Colorado and the Jam was my day pack. I will say for Summer I probably will use a smaller day pack like my Talon 22 simply because I have it. However, if you are looking for one pack to do it all, the Jam is an Excellent choice IMO.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Randy – did you mean "I have the 2011 version of the Jam which is pretty much the 35L version this year." or did you mean "I have the 2011 version of the Jam which is pretty much the 50L version this year." ? The jam 2011 was ~50L

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Your right, I was thinking of it's approximately 3300 cubic inches and the 35L jumped into my head.

So for the OP, for a day pack I would think the 35L Jam current year would be an excellent day pack and would work as an overnight pack at that size, especially given that she would be the second person and may not have to carry common items like a stove, food, tent etc…

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Looking at 2012 prices and weights, a "why not" view comes to mind to go for the larger 50L rather than the 35L.

http://www.golite.com/packs-and-luggage/backcountry-ultralite

Is it true the 50L is only 4oz/115g more than the 35L? These been measured by owners yet? I know weightweenies that's a lot but you never know if that extra 15L might come in handy. Turns it into a 3season all-day thru-hike pack… because that is what I bought my 2011 50L Jam for….

The compression thing is real, the hooks under to raise the weight when its not full, the two compression either side or around the back and just cinch down the top. It becomes a back-hugging 20L-ish type. Heavy for 20L though but if its that empty by definition its going to be light.

The key though to OP is back length for these frameless packs.

c c

@ccwave

Thanks everyone for the info-I'm learning a lot
    I can see how getting the 50L would provide more options as a
    Multi-day pack, but even if it can sinch down is it overkill for day pack?

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Winter daypack? Not overkill as you're carrying a lot more to wear in event of planned/unplanned stops plus you're welcoming the warming effect of the pack.

Hot-weather daypack? Well, the pack is figure-hugging over much of its height+weight, deliberately so it keeps weight close to the body, part of how a relatively light frameless pack can have a high maximum weight capability (remember, full camping gear, food, water, etc). Whilst this is a good thing for weight-carrying, I find it a hotter pack to wear as less of the back is exposed.

My daypack for non-winter is a Black Diamond thing of about 20L, for summer heat I can carry 3L pouch internally plus external water in a package which is round and not as much of it touching my back plus I don't tend to use the hipbelt.

The Jam 50L has a large hipbelt, unnecessary for light daypack situations but increasingly required for heavier loads. My daypack for winter where I need volume but not weight is the discontinued Peak 37L with removable hipbelt.

So I'd say Jam 50 is bordering on overkill for most seasons, probably not appropriate for a summer daypack, but more appropriate for a winter daypack.

Boils down to how many packs you want to own and the $ spent. You certainly can use the Jam as an all-year daypack if you wanted to but I'd say in hot weather lightly loaded you'd find the hipbelt sweat-hoarding and the back robbing you of chilling opportunity. You can simply tie the hipbelt around the pack and not your body and you can try to shape the bag's contents to lift more off the pack. Conversely use the hipbelt and carefully pack to make the pack a tall rigid shape and loosen shoulder-straps to let it lean away from the body.

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Locale: SoCal

I'm in a similar situation to the OP with both day use and child needs. I also own a 2011 Jam. The two uses mentioned are for a child and for a day pack. I don't uae the Jam for either of these, rather I bought a Flash 18 for twenty bucks. The sizing is far better for the kids and it is much more compact for sub ten pound loads. I use the Flash all the time and rely on the Jam for backpacking only.

c c

@ccwave

Can a Flash 18 even hold a sleeping bag for a kid?

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

An adult 30F sleeping bag is 3L packed. So obviously it could, but why would you want to.

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

I have two daughters with two Flash 18s. The Flash 18s carry the sleeping bags and all clothes. One sleeping bag is a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 short and the other is a child size cheepo synthetic. Clothing is a long top, long bottom, extra shorts, shell and a Costco down jacket. They can also carry their pad strapped to the front.

Thats it … nothing more, but this is also about the right amount of weight for them. It gets just the right amount of bulk off me. I only have to worry about the extra food and four person tent.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

"Can a Flash 18 even hold a sleeping bag for a kid?"

It depends. If its an ultra light job using thin denier shell fabrics and 800 fill down or higher (like a bag from western mountaineering, golite, feathered friends or a quilt from Tim Marshall) then sure! On the other, if we are talking about your standard Walmart coleman brand synthetic sleeping bag, then no way! For reference, people on these forums, including myself, can fit a standard 3 season overnight kit (shelter, sleeping bag, etc) in a 20 liter pack.

Edit* oops! I stand corrected, looks like John's post above says you can in fact fit in a cheap synthetic fill bag inside. Man, things must have changed. I remember my coleman synthetic bag I used to bring over to sleepovers at friends' homes. That thing was HUGE. Like 40 liters huge. Or maybe it's one of those things where as a kid, everything just looked colossal in comparison to our little bodies ;)

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Nigel,

For day use, it's just a matter of having a small taught pack for the 2-3 pounds of goodies.

For child use, the JAM (50L mind you) is way too long.

The other reason is $20 versus $75 (ballpark).

I know the thread is discussing the new JAM 35L. I don't konw how much shorter this will be than the model I have.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

I got a Black Diamond Magnum 18L in a sale some years ago, I think about $20, its well built, been well abused and looks like new, and was my traveling pack but I find too-small a pack, just more work to get it packed and to find a specific thing inside, I was always having to take everything out of it and one day I'd not notice it was slowly unzipping itself and I could have lost something valuable. It weighs 420g. My newer daypack is a Golite Peak, with the hipbelt removed its 670g and cinches down from its max 37L down to about the 20L size, and its just easier to get stuff in/out and find things. Totally different kind of packs also. The Jam well, its quite a bit more weight, mine shows as 835g. It is easier to go up a size than your minimalist focus, and relative to the contents' weight isn't much. Each of these packs were bought in sales with capacity/strength/cost reasons, not weight reasons.

For summer daypack I find the 18L perfectly ok, but its getting tight for winter daypack. For winter daypack the Peak is perfectly ample and it can do minimalist 3season camping but its a right squeeze for winter camping, that needs the Jam.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Jam 35 vs Jam 50. My guess is the attachment point of the shoulder strap, the distance down the hip-belt is only a function of small/medium/large and this impacts the pack's capacity. The main different Jam 50 / 35 is the 50 if its like the 2011 Jam just has a long collar which allows it to fill well about the line where the shoulder straps attach, whilst the Jam 35 looks like the Peak and no/short collar (so only slightly less weight), and the Jam 70 has a much longer collar.

I expect the Jam 35 2012 to be a better heavily-loaded pack than the Peak 2011 predecessor as the hipbelt can be better as its not removeable, but conversely it is heavier for a lightly-loaded pack like a daypack context. I'd say… consider going for the Jam 50 as it then can be something more, and I repeat I don't think the 35/50 should concern on size than much more important the small/medium/large selection.

Nice thing about Golite packs is the durability seems good overall, not excessively heavy, and if you get in a sale is a fair price, and the new sell-direct prices look keen too. They aren't though the strongest nor the lightest nor the cheapest, and that gathers a lot of chatter I was reading in BPL before I gave GoLite my $139 for a Jam and a Peak in Janauary.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools