Topic

Montbell U.L. super spiral down hugger #5 ADVICE!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell U.L. super spiral down hugger #5 ADVICE!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

Locale: Southeast

Hello fellow backpackers! I need some advice on the Montbell Hugger #5.I am about to purchase it but i wanted to get some advice before i pull the trigger. This is the 2011 version with 7oz fill and weighs 1lb 2oz for the long version. I do most of my backpacking in warm weather. I will be going to Wyoming for 3 weeks this summer and i am also planning a Springer Mountain to Damascus hike in July. Will this bag be sufficient for my needs? Thanks for any advice!!!

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

William, folks will need more data points, tent or tarp, what kind of pad, are you a warm or cool sleeper, what do you expect the low temps to be while you're there?

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

I appreciate your reply! I will be using a tarp, therma-rest neo air x-lite sleeping pad, I am a slightly hot sleeper, and I think the low temps will average mid to upper 40’s and occasionally on a cold night 40.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I hike in similar areas and seasons as you mention, and would not take anything less than a #3. Even with that, it is necessary to put on puffy stuff underneath the bag when it gets cold at high altitudes. When it gets hot, I unzip the bag, and sleep with my feet on top. I'd rather do that, than be up all night shivering when it's cold.

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

do you think the addition of a sea to summit reactor (supposed to ad 15 degrees to bag rating) to the inside of the bag would add enough warmth for higher altitudes? Also, do you think the rating on this bag is sufficient for the AT or do the same concern of high altitude apply?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The comfort rating of that bag is 48F, 41F lower limit by EN rating.

In july on the AT you are looking at AVERAGE low temps of probably 50 at highest elevations to 60+ at lower elevations

However you could see temps 10 F less or so, that is just average.

So, on average on the AT I think you would be fine. You might have occasional cold night if a front comes thru, just layer up. Below 40 is unlikely, but has happened. All time low in GA at Neels was about 34F in July.

WY is a different story. That depends where you go and how high.

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

In WY i will be visiting Yellowstone, Laramie, the Black Hills (SD), and a few other places. I think the highest elevation will be approximately 10,000 ft

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Well you probably wouldnt die, but no way is that bag is good for 10,000' in WY, even in July. Im guessing you could see temps of down to 30 probably, if not lower, and possibly much lower with a front.

The average July lows in Jackon Hole is about 40F, at 6000-ish ft.

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

Haha well thank you for keeping from freezing to death lol! Ok i will reconsider my sleeping bag options then.Any suggestions for a sleeping bag that will work for both scenarios?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Just as a heads up….. Those liners do NOT add 15 degrees of warmth. 5 max, and probably more like 2-3. I had one, and promptly returned it.

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

thanks for the heads up!

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

A Montbell #3 with a puffy layer on is a pretty good combo. I have the #3 and love that bag.

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

Sorry for being ignorant, but what is a puffy layer :)

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

The puffy layer would be a down jacket– which you'll need anyway for evening in Wyoming, even in the summer.

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

Thank you for the definition. I know it will really hurt my wallet but would it be in my best interest to invest in WM summerlite? They seem like excellent bags with great reviews, i was just trying to stay away from them because of the price. In comparison i was looking at paying $160 for the montbell hugger #5.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

*cough* quilt *cough* revelation X by enlightened equipment *cough*

Sorry, couldn't help myself! I know you're asking about bags. But you can get a 20F quilt for $200.

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

Haha thanks, well it sounds like a have a lot more to think about! Will the 20F quilt even be close to the weight and quality of a Montbell of WM. I'm also concerned with weight because ill be using it for several miles on the AT. Thanks for your advice though :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

If you do look at quilts, search all the reviews on Tim Marshall from enlightened equipment. They're ALL good. He makes a quality product and his pricing on the Revelation X can't be beat. His quilts have a lot of features, too. A 20*F revelation x will be around 20 ounces, depending on sizing options. Mine which has 30% overfill is just under 24 ounces.
    I've got a Montbell #3, and I plan on switching completely to the quilt. It's quality.

I'll be gone the next few days so if I don't reply thats why, but you'll find plenty of info on those quilts in the forums.

Again, I know you're asking about bags, so apologies for suggesting a quilt. But they are worth a look at least. Good luck!

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

I really appreciate your advice and i will look into the quilts :)

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

I just looked at the revelation x 30F reg 6'6" and it looks awesome! When you get a chance i would love to hear your review of yours, because i also hammock camp sometimes and it would be a perfect top quilt!!!! Thank You!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

William,
    I just got back from a trip to the north woods in WI. I used my quilt for two nights with temps in the low 40s to low 50s, and very damp air. I slept under a tarp and used just a groundsheet.

I was completely warm and comfortable, which was expected because I have a 20F quilt, but I was also not too hot. The beauty of these quilts is the adaptability to different temps. If you get too warm, you can open the foot box for venting, and because of the baffle style (Karo) you can easily shift the down off the top of you. If it gets chilly, its really easy to move the down where it's needed.

Check out this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58892

It started as a silly Chaff thread, but there are some good photos and I've written more on my quilt. Let me know if you have any questions!

Christopher Heine

@heine19

Locale: Colorado

I have the #3 and its really not very warm. I wouldn't take it out in less than 40 degrees. Its my warm weather bag.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I use this bag exclusively for summer hiking at all altitudes. I use a neoair and 95% of the time have it fully open as a quilt. The other 5% of the time I zip up when cold and begin adding layers if still cold. I am 6' tall and 230 lbs. I use a long. Be sure it has enough room for you to add layers without flattening the insulation. Excellent bag.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools