Topic

good thruhiking in march

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion good thruhiking in march

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dan Schmidt

@danjschmidtgmail-com

Looking for good trails to thru hike in march without alot of snow? Sections of the AT, Arizona Trail, etc.?

Adam McFarren

@amcfarre

No personal experience, but it seems like that would be a great time to be on Arkansas's Ozark Highlands Trail (165 miles). There is an audio interview at trailcast.org (#4) that would give you an introduction. That trail also comes off well in the book _Thru Hikers Guide to America_.

A couple friends of mine are planning a week on the Sheltowee Trace trail in March. That's in Kentucky.

Higher elevations of the AT could still have snow then, but maybe lower regions of the Smokies would be ideal in March.

-adam

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

Adam gives some excellent offerings. Another couple of great options where crowds and snow shouldn't be much of a problem are the Pinhoti Trail (Alabama/Georgia) and the Benton MacKaye Trail (Georgia/ Tennessee/North Carolina). Each of these is about 300 miles, and has decent views without much brush.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I'm going to do a couple sections of the Ozark Trail in Missouri over spring break. Its not totally finished yet, but about 200 miles are complete so far. It will eventually connect to the Ozark Highland Trail for a total of 700 miles.
    Ozark Trail
    There shouldn't be any snow and you'll probably encounter very few people. Resupply isn't really an option though, as it passes through some pretty remote places. The sections of the trail I have done are great, plus I live less than an hour from the northern terminus.

Adam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools