Topic

No zipper flap on mid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear No zipper flap on mid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Does anyone have any experience NOT covering a zipper with a storm flap on a MID. I have new mid that I am just about finished with, but I was thinking that I would just skip the storm flap on the zipper. My thought is that if it was raining out, and water did penetrate the zipper, it would just run down the zipper to the ground and not be a problem. On one of the big tipi's I made I skipped the flap, but it has never been raining when I have used it so far. Also, on a big tipi, I could just move all of my gear away from the door if it was leaking. On the one I am making now, it would be hard to avoid any drips if they started.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Ben

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have spent many rainy nights in my mid without zipper flap and found no problem

I went through the same thought process as you

Also, when you open the door to get in and out, rain drips down there so you shouldn't put stuff under the door anyway

What do you mean "On the one I am making now, it would be hard to avoid any drips if they started"

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

The one that I am making now is rather narrow and long like a duomid. The zipper runs almost to the peak, so even if I am all the way to the back side, I am still close to being under the zipper

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Inside the tent there isn't much wind so any drops will go straight down.

Later, if you think you're getting wet you could add a flap, but I don't think you'll need it, based on my experience

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Thanks Jerry
    I guess I'll skip the flap for now, but i might have to give it a "backyard sprinkler field test" before I take it out for real. It would totally annoy me if I had to mess with raindrops coming through in the middle of the night while on a trip in the mountains.

Ben

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools