Topic

My first US BP trip, Pictured Rocks Trail, Michigan UP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips My first US BP trip, Pictured Rocks Trail, Michigan UP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

I know its a bit late to be advertsing but fellow BPL member rOg Wilmers and I are off to hike the Pictured Rocks trail in Michigans UP this weekend if anyone would like to come along.

This will be my first US backpacking trip after moving from Europe.

We will be driving from Mount Pleasant at 11am on Friday morning if anyone wants to car share.

Have a great evening,

Stephen

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Where are you guys normally located? I'll be in northern Wisconsin this weekend, but only through Saturday. Bummer I can't make it.

BTW, check out the thread for a Midwest GGG!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Stephen. You are finally in the US.
    How many days? I would need to schedule time off. Thanks.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Travis,

Rog is in Western Michigan and I am in the Eastern part.
    I would definiley be up for a GGG. I am back in Ireland for most of April but May is good for me, except fr the 20th.

Hi Tim,

I moved over at the start of Febuary, all settled in the job and house so its time to get hiking :-)

We are hoping to hit the trailhead at 4.30pm on Friday (I am meeting Rog in Mt. Pleasant at 11am) and finish up sometime Sunday afternoon. I am going to take half day from work on Friday.

Cheers,

Stephen

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Stephen

Are you doing munising to grand marias?

Thanks.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Stephen and Rog,

Wish I could join you guys – that's going to be a killer trip! Hopefully we'll get to see a trip report from this one. If you do end up in Grand Marais, I seem to remember the brewery there being pretty tasty and a fun spot. Have a great time fellas.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Tim,

More than likey will go as far as Munising but we may take the shorter route.

Hi Nate,

We will check out the brewery if we get a chance.

Cheers both,

Stephen

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Stephen

Let me know what you distance you want to do each day. I wouldn't want to slow you down.

Tim

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Tim,

Rog assured me the trail is very plush and easy so high mileage is very doabale.
    I suppose we would be looking at 8 miles on the Friday night, 20 on the Saturday and 15 on the Sunday.

I am a small bit out of shape becuase of the move so we may decide to cut that down a bit, if you came along and wanted to do a shorter route that would suit Rog and I just fine.

:-)

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Guys.

Fair enough. Dawn is 7. Sunset is 8. I need to check family constraints. I was out last weekend at Hoist lake, so there may be some grumbles.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

thats cool Tim,

Let me know how you get on.

cheers

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

That's a beautiful area! I'm looking forward to your trip report!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Mary,

I am really looking forward to it and hope to write a report that will do the trip justice.

As mentioned earlier it is my first US trip so I have a lot to learn and take in.

Living in Michigan is very different to Ireland, when I came home from work today it was 90F, bearing in mind that would be nearly a record breaking heat wave in Ireland :-)

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi folks,

The trip went very well, will have a trip report soon.

Cheers,

Stephen

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools