Topic

Winter’s Tone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Winter’s Tone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Winter's Tone

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Very nice article. I like how you captured the moods of hiking a trail and the emotions of starting out and ending a trip. Good stuff.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Very cool, and thanks for sharing! Yes, emotions are an essential part of trips, whether we want them to or not.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Hehehehe, 'winter'.

Nice writing though!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice article and pictures

Interesting to hear about other parts of the country

I almost prefer going out in the winter

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W

Chad, those of you from Minnesota have a different perspective of winter….The Ozark winters are much more schizophrenic than that of the northern states: bursts of single digit temps followed by warmups such as the one I wrote about in the piece. Of course, you'd be crazy(or stupid) to head into the Ozarks in January w/o a reasonable winter kit. Unless, of course you were pretty confident in the short term forecast. This winter has been so mild, I'm pretty sure a 3 season kit would have sufficed for most trips. Beats staying at home!

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Great article. I've really been missing the times I've spent on the OT. Currently, without a job, I think it could bring some of the healing I so desperately need.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Yes Chad, "winter", not your flat frozen testicle shriveling bitter cold Minnesota winters, but who the hell wants that anyways? ;-)

Lucas,

I enjoyed your solo winter experience on the Ozark Trail, particularly your honesty in dealing with the anxiety laden lead up getting on the trail. The article's title "Winter's Tone" is a fitting one- the tone established in the opening paragraphs where you describe the departure from your wife and the ensuing excitement as you make some distance down trail captured that moment well.

Well done Lucas. It's unfortunate people here at BPL would rather waste their time bickering in Chaff.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Lucas,
    Thanks for sharing another great trip report. Keep them coming!

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

Your writing style feels similar to a favorite author of mine, H.P. Lovecraft. The way you texture the article is amazing. It is the kind of essay I expect to find in a literary compilation used to teach college students. I had no interest in the Ozark trail until I read this… twice.

Jason Schafer
    BPL Member

@jjschafer

Hi Lucas,

I am hoping to hike the 227 mile spine this January. I'm currently training and getting gear together. Aiming for 9-10 days. Base weight 11-13 lbs. I was hoping to get some of your thoughts and feedback regarding water sources in the winter. I'm using the ozark trail trip planner for most information and weather data for the region from other sources.

Are there any special tips you wish you would have known or thought of that could benefit me? I don't know if you'll see this and your PM isn't setup. This is a great article with some helpful information. Would like some more of your thoughts if you have any to give. Not many have hiked the trail in the winter at this pace that I know of, save you.

my email is jasondotjdotschaferatgmail. thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools