Topic

Ursack Hybrid Off List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ursack Hybrid Off List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

As an owner of an Ursack Hybrid I have just found out that I cannot use it for some of my summer trips in the Sierras. I have also discovered that most of the BearVaults have been taken off the approved list after a few "Einstein" bears discovered how to get into them…………….

Is the extra cost of the Bearikade worth it compared to the Garcia Machine "keg"? or should I get the new improved (make that heavier) BearVault?

Randy

PS I still use an Ursack when I am out of the SIBBG jurisdiction.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Accord to the SIBBG (updated a couple of weeks ago) the BearVaults are still on the approved list except for Rae Lakes area:

http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm

The Ursack in current form is off the list. An updated bag (or the old spectra bag + liner) might make it back on the conditional list this year. You can follow the saga at:

http://ursack.blogspot.com/

Is the bearicade worth the extra cost compared to the garcia machine? I think so, but I have spare cash. The advantages of the bearicade are weight and it's easier to pack (both getting food in and out, and that it is a more uniform shape which makes it easier to find the right shape space in your pack.

I would note that bearicade will also do custom length canisters, so if you want something shorter or taller than the weekender, they can do that.

–Mark

Anonymous
    Inactive

The newest model BearVault BV350 and BV400 are now fully approved as of January 2007 for use in all SIBBG controlled areas and can be used without restrictions in the Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park and throughout the Sierras. These new models are 3 ounces heavier and provide 7 more cubic inches of interior space than the models they replace. These models can be identified by a large red decal on the lid with the model number BV350/400 displayed prominently on this decal. If you do not have this red decal on the lid, then you have one of the earlier models listed below that are restricted from use in the Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park.

Currently hikers to the Rae Lakes drainage basin Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park cannot use the following BearVault bear canister models: BV110B, BV200, BV250 or BV300. There were 8 break-ins during the summer of 2005 and until more experience is gathered this summer, the use of the above models is not allowed in this area. There are currently no restrictions on the use of these model BearVaults elsewhere in SIBBG controlled areas- they can be used throughout the Sierras and all other locations.

To accommodate BearVault customers who wish to hike in the Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park and who own one of the earlier restricted model canisters listed above, the following swap-out program is available. Starting in early June, when a hiker shows up at either the Road’s End Permit Station/Cedar Grove Ranger Station (tel 559-565-3790) in Kings Canyon National Park or the Lone Pine Ranger Station (tel 760-876-6200) to pick up their back country permit for the Rae Lakes area of Kings Canyon National Park, you must inform your permit issuer that you need to exchange your bear canister. If the hiker has a BearVault model BV110B, BV200, BV250 or BV300, the ranger will then exchange your existing BearVault with a new full size BearVault model BV400 while supplies last. The supply of BV400s will be replenished throughout the summer, however occasionally the permitting stations may run out. This will allow the hiker who already owns an early model BearVault to enjoy the Rae Lakes area with an approved BearVault canister.

This swap-out program is only available for hikers picking up their backcountry permit to hike the Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park. If you are going elsewhere, your current BearVault canister is fully approved and can be used without restrictions.

For more information visit the SIBBG web site at http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Yup, functionally the Bearikade is much better than the Garcia can in every respect. Once I got over the financial shock, I've never regretted getting mine (it's amortized down to about $50/year now ;-)

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

rick has the right idea – amortization! we've had ours for almost 4 years now and have never regretted it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools