I was planning on thru-hiking the JMT starting mid-June this year, but have learned that it will likely be fairly crowded and busy. Not what I was looking for.
If I could create a mission statement for my trip, it would be something like this:
"To have an epic backcountry experience filled with plenty of solidude while surrounded by the grandeur, power, and beauty of nature."
Looks like the SHR (Sierra High Route) as assembled by Roper might be just the ticket.
First a little background on me. I'm 29, very fit (elite level competitive road cycling racer), and if nothing else am determined and sincerely appreciate adventure. I've done several solo backpacking weekends, but never anything longer than a couple of nights. I'm comfortable with UL backpacking ideas and have my pack weight down to a good number. I did boyscouts as a kid and have always been comfortable in the outdoors and am fairly well read on the subject. I've got a window of around 14-17 days for the trip including travel to/from the airport.
Here are my questions/concerns since I have only just started researching this option:
* Am I crazy to consider doing this solo? If I carry a Personal Locator Beacon and GPS and use care should I more than likely be fine? I don't mind adventure, but also don't want to be stupid.
* I plan to take some navigation and first-aid courses (probably online) and practice route hiking in my area before I go. Should that suffice combined with my GPS plus a phone loaded with topo map files along with map printouts and Roper's book?
* 14 days should be fine, right? I would think 14-15 miles per day is more than reasonable. I know Skurka did it in 8 days at a "very comfortable" pace. I also know that I'm not Andrew Skurka.
* Are there any resupply opportunities at all? A smallish detour is fine?
* Would mid-June be crazy? I'd guess with the lack of snow so far this year, it would more than likely be fine if I carry an ice axe??
* Is there even a chance of ever getting cell service on the route?
* How on earth do I sell this idea to my wife?
Thanks!

