Topic

Honey

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

I've been given about 10lbs of local honey from a farmer I did some work for last year. Please give me some suggestions on how I can make good use of this honey. It's goooood stuff!!!!

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

1. If you like energy shots use honey instead.
    2. Sweetener for tea/ possibly coffee but I don't drink coffee so dunno.
    3. PB&honey sandwiches are great.
    4. Use it in a homemade BBQ sauce or glaze to brush on meat for the grill or oven.
    5. Make your own salad dressings, maybe a honey dijon?

Just some quick thoughts.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i am a beekeeper and sell my excess honey in 1 pound bottles – ten pounds of honey is a large amount and would retail for about $100.00.

with that amount you can make a mead, make some soap, use it as a sweetener in recipes in place of sugar, and use it as a food item alone. my wife likes to use it as a condiment with breaded chicken tenders. i also add it to whisky for a nice honey liqueur.

making mead is very straight forward and with 5 pounds of honey you can make a pretty good product. you will have to wait about a year for it to age, but man is it worth it.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

No rush, thankfully honey lasts forever! I would make some candies with it, lots of hot toddies, wound treatment and i really love the mead suggestion!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Mead making would be awesome – since honey isn't cheap. But I also bake bread, muffins, energy bars, no cook energy bites, salad dressings – many sugar recipes can be adapted quite easily. And even if the honey crystallizes you can heat it gently!
    Recipe ideas?
    http://gazingin.com/2012/03/14/pb-and-oat-bites/
    http://gazingin.com/2012/03/15/avocado-banana-muffins/

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

Brew up some mead.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Geez, ten pounds of honey would be a lifetime supply for me.

Weight-wise, it is impractical to have on the trail except in tiny quantities.

I would let some of the honey crystallize, then fish the crystals out and dehydrate them, then carry just the dried crystals.

–B.G.–

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I put a good shot of Honey in a smoothie in the morning.

Cody Croslow

@graelb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the mead.

To be fair, you don't have to use 5 pounds to make a mead if you wanted to make a smaller batch… I tend to make 1 gallon batches vs 5 gallons

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

live to share? :)

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

"To be fair, you don't have to use 5 pounds to make a mead if you wanted to make a smaller batch… I tend to make 1 gallon batches vs 5 gallons"

what is he going to do with all that other honey ;)

and then when he likes the mead and wants more, he's in for a long wait.

Cody Croslow

@graelb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's true…

I tend to get impatient and don't age it for a year though… =P

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I approve of the mead idea, but:

You should rub honey on your everywhere

That from Scientific American, of all places.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Mix some with Wild Turkey or your favorite bourbon and drink around the campfire.

Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I was planning to make some mead. I also made a pretty tasty Honey Amber beer last year and plan to do another batch. I really like the dehydrating crystallized honey idea. I will try it, when my new dehydrator arrives….. in 3 days!!!!!!

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Steve,

What's mead?

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Locale: Northern California

get a blender, plenty of fresh fruit, your delicious honey and maybe some fresh fruit juice, blend it all up. put in your dehydrator and tadahh!! you have some homemade fuit leather.

be sure to:
    1) Not use milk products
    2) Make enough to have a big glass left over (a big glass) to drink in reward for your hard work
    3)use PLENTY honey

grate trail snack and should last a dam long time depending on water content and storage means

good luck

Gunther

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

On you Toast! And fruit! Every morning my wife and I have a small bowl of chopped fruit with honey drizzled over it, one egg, and one slice of toast with butter, honey, and cinnamon. Also, I don't do it very often, but honey mixed with your milk is also delicious.
    We go through lots of honey…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools