Topic

5 or 2.5 oz climashield versatility

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 5 or 2.5 oz climashield versatility

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Landis Lacey

@fivestar

So, I've graduated from stuffsacks, to a 10×6 flat tarp in my MYOG trials and I think it's time to make a quilt. I'm looking to make a synthetic version, because it just seems so easy! Stuffed size isn't a problem for me either since my current pack is a GG virga with plenty of room.

Anyhow, I'm debating on whether to go with 2.5oz and make a summer weight quilt, or go with the 5 oz and get more of a 3 season quilt. I was originally planning on going with a closed footbox, but I'm wondering if sleeping under the 5oz in the summer would be more bearable with a drawstring footbox for venting. Money is critical here, so I'd rather make a more versatile 3 season quilt than 2 seperate ones over time. But will I be miserable in Appalachain mountains of NC this summer under the 5oz climashield?

I've got no experience with this insulation, or quilt sleeping, so any insight you can give would help me greatly.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I've used both 5oz and 2.5oz insulation in the SE. Unfortunately, I haven't used the 5oz during the summer, just late fall and winter.

My current quilt quiver is a 2.5oz open quilt and a Golite Ultra 20. I have so far liked having the summer weight quilt and the down quilt for when it drops into the 30's and below. I like having the summer weight quilt mostly because a lot of my summer trips turn out to be overnight SUL trips, and I like to drop as much weight as possible. During the school year, I normally take the time to get full weekend trips to help recoup from everything, and I care less about weight.

With that said, I used my 2.5oz quilt a lot last summer and sometimes when I was in a bivy wth it, I was too hot, at least at first. I think with the 5oz, a well ventilated area, and an open footbox, you would stay comfortable. Hang a leg out and maybe an arm. Don't wear many layers while sleeping. All those small factors that can help you stay cool.

I've converted my old 5oz quilt into an underquilt and will be testing that here in SC over the next week or so. I can tell you how that does. Kinda similar, but not the same for sure.

I would say that if money is an issue, and all your camping is 3 season (not going much below 30*), go with the 5oz quilt, and just have one quilt. If you go out when it gets below the capabilities of that 5oz quilt though, I like the set up I have. With nice layering, that 5oz quilt can go to the mid 20's though, in my experience.

Also, money is an issue for me on gear as well. My guide I wrote on making the quilts is based around saving money. I try to reduce wasted material and reduce shipping costs mostly. Feel free to check it out and ask me any questions on it or give comments.

http://kringlelight.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/sin50/

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Chris,

have you used your 2.5 quilt as either an over bag or inner bag for your Ultra 20? Thats the setup that I am working towards. I plan on making an SUL 2.5 apex summer quilt to be layered with the Ultra 20 for winter use.

Ive been debating whether to make the 2.5 as a super trim small quilt for weight savings but sacrificing the overbag usability or just making it big enough to go over my Ultra 20 and not being obsessive about the extra oz.

How does yours pair with the Ultra 20?

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I actually sold my 2.5oz quilt before the winter season to pay for other projects and am just finishing up my new one now. I had a 5oz during the fall/winter and decided it was too similar to the down quilt to keep. But this means I never got to overlap the 2.5oz quilt with the down.

Normally when it is that cold, I prefer having a very warm jacket to wear around camp and take my Alpine Light, so don't need to overlap.

I have tried it before just in my house to see if it fit, planning for very cold trips with my 5oz quilt, and found that the foot was a tad small, but that it worked as an over quilt pretty well anyways. That would be with the dimensions found on my guide. Maybe an inch or two wider at the foot would be nice for an over quilt.

I've read in some thread around here that down can be compressed up to half of it's maximum loft without losing warming properties. With this in mind, I would be happy with my own dimensions. It would compress some, but not nearly to half the maximum loft.

Landis Lacey

@fivestar

Thanks for the feedback. I think I might go for the versatility of a 5oz quilt. If it's too hot for the summer months, I can easily stick it out and save up for a summer weight quilt. I'm sure I'll learn some things about the design that will either work or not for me in the long run if there need to be changes made to the lighter version.

Already the appeal of the MYOG gear has made me want to invest in a better sewing machine!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools