Topic

Stephenson’s Warmlite 2R or 2X

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stephenson’s Warmlite 2R or 2X

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Anyone had any experience with this brand? There doesn't seem to be any review on BPL which is surprising considering the light weight of these tents, albeit pricey. The couple of minor outside reviews that I managed to find were either "love it" or "hate it" types.

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

I own both the 3R and the 2R. I would not be a fan of the X series but I know those who are. One of the wise things I did was order their video prior to purchase. A wise investment considering it is very hard to view these tents and the video did an excellent job showing set up, take down, care of the tent, and sealing. There was also detailed printed information, color swatches, and it was all very helpful in our decision to purchase and color choices.

Having said all that, Stephenson’s are still the lightest tents out there, lighter than Hilleberg, which I also own, lighter per square foot than Black Diamond, and they are four season with optional side windows for warmer weather. Stephenson’s tents are very tough but do require a careful attitude. They generally need larger campsites because the 2R is 42 square feet, and the floor is sil nylon, and unless treated the site will need to be level or you will slide while sleeping. Head room is limited but not restrictive and is best under the main pole on the 2R. You may experience condensation on the single wall ends on still nights when there would normally be dew outside or on non windy chilly rainy nights. My 2R that I probably over sealed to death came with side windows and full door weighs 3 pounds 3 ounces including poles and stuff sack. All I need is a mylar ground sheet and three stakes and I am good to go. Since the Stephenson’s pitch is so dependent on tension, stake choice is important. The stakes need to hold so I use 12” yellow plastic for three season and generally SMC fluke or snow stakes for the winter/spring snow camping. I recall a choice of end poles for the 2R. If you plan on a lot of snow camping or above ridge line you might consider the thicker of the two poles for more strength.

If not Stephenson, the closest manufacturer would be Hilleberg and probably the Nallo. Their workmanship is outstanding as you will also find with a tent from Stephenson.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was lucky enough to get my 2R for less than half price and practically new on ebay last year. The seller was planning to get a bigger one. It uses a huge footprint, but is easy to set up and is well-made. I used it on Mt. Adams and Camp Muir on Mt. Rainier and several other high elevation areas. It held up quite well in the heavy winds. The condensation on the single-wall areas is easily dealt with by wiping with a bandana. The light weight is what first appealed to me, but the other features add to the fact I'm glad I got it.

John Haley

@quoddy

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the Akto but thought I'd check for a more snowload resistant shelter. The Nallo is great, but the weight borders on the very high end. The Stephenson at 2.5 pounds is definitely in the running. I'm only about 3 hours from their location and may take a drive over there.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

John:

If you've never seen a Stephenson Warmlite, be prepared to be amazed by the tent skeleton. These tents don't use tent poles — instead, they use HUGE aluminum tubes — actually, more like pipes! You can almost build an aqueduct using those things. On the other hand, hey, they're still light as heck — and strong. :)

Thomas Roberts

@tr

Locale: Southern California

I also own a 2R and it is very light, with the side windows and the large door it weighs out at 3lbs 3oz.
    I have only used it once, but I fell in love again. It does hold up to high winds very well and it does take some careful but simple set up. The poles are strong but as with most lightweight gear you must just be careful. We used it at Cottonwood Lakes in the Eastern Sierra of California, and saw 2 more 2R's and 1 3R. They do cost, but I think they are worth it. They do have a lot of floor space, you could easily sleep 3 if need be.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Don't forget the Akto's single pole sleeve is designed large enough to have two poles inserted through it to enhance its snow loading capabilities. So, if you need a small foot print or like other aspects about the Akto (like relative cost), don't count it out.

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

The poles on Stephenson’s tents are not pipes, especially the rear pole on my 2R. However they are larger diameter hollow pre-curved sections that are very, and I mean very lightweight, extremely strong/rigid when connected and unlike traditional Easton poles that bend and flex, these poles will not budge in the wind.

The reality is Easton technology that I enjoy in my Hilleberg and Sierra Designs tents would not work with Stephenson tents.

My 2R and 3R that often shares my morning cup of coffee when I’m on line took offense with Mr. Tang’s comment that they were HUGE tubes, pipes, and more like aqueducts, and begged me to politely respond to restore their honor and dignity.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sorry, they are NOT pipes — just obese poles. (heh heh)

BTW, Hilleberg tents all use DAC aluminum poles now.

John Haley

@quoddy

After researching the tent as far as I could, I spoke to Jane at Stephenson's today and am getting a list of in stock 2R's as well as the video and swatches (in case I can't find a color and options I like in stock. Fushia and Lime Green comes to mind…with all those colors the mind boggles. It may be, "Good bye, Forest Green". With the wide door and windows on each side the weight is all the way up to 3 lbs 1 oz for a good size, 4 season, 2 man tent that packs to 15×5. I still haven't ruled out the Akto, and the decision will soon be made.

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I have owned one of these tents and am not a fan. Here's what I don’t like:

1. The tent is effectively 1 skin as there is little separation between the two layers. You can expect severe condensation in humid, still weather. However, condensation on the Akto can be quite severe too.

2. There is no vestibule in this tent or rather, when you open the door to put things in the tent rain will come in with you. In addition, when you put your wet pack in the tent it is sitting on the same floor as you which makes for a very wet environment. I disliked this feature the most. The Akto wins here with it large vestibule.

How do other fans deal with the vestibule issue, I’d be interested to know.

3. Like any tunnel, this tent would not withstand high snowfall. See http://www.csupomona.edu/~rosenkrantz/trailimages/dingleberrysnowcf.jpg for an example. The Akto doesn't withstand high snowfall well either.

4. Like any tunnel, it will be very noisy in high winds because of the large area of unsupported fabric. The Akto would probably be quieter because of its smaller wind profile.

5. Seam sealing is a pain on this tent. It is more difficult to seal than your average tent and you don’t know how good the job is until it’s been tested in the rain. No issues with the Akto here.

6. If you are going to be using this tent for 2 in poor conditions, snow or high rain, get the 3R with the third pole for added room and stability.

That said, there is no other tent that solves these issues at this weight. It’s just a question if you can live with the issues. I couldn’t.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I have been wondering whether the Hilleberg Unna (for 1 person) is a better option, even though it is a bit heavier.

Roger

John Haley

@quoddy

This sort of follows what I said in my original post. There are no in-between votes with this one. I am just as anxious to hear the problems as I am the virtues. This is a lot of cash to part with, and I greatly appreciate ANY opinion.

And yes, Roger, I've also considerred the Unna and even the Nallo 2. Just that the weight is edging up there and a couple of other minor things. I've even spoken to Hilleberg about the Unna and gotten a lot of good feedback.

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Just wondering from previous owners, how did you deal with putting wet gear inside the tent when there is no exterior vestibule?

Similarly for cooking, I assume everyone who uses these tents cooks inside the tent which seems dangerous.

John Baird

@jbaird

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T

It sounds to me as no one tent is the perfect choice. We should all get together and brain storm the one we would all buy.
    A better vented AKTO with a bit more head room, for example.

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

Stephenson tents are designed to be properly staked and strongly tensioned as tight as a drum. Properly pitched these tents do not flop in the wind, quite the contrary, and are not affected by a few inches of snow as shown in the picture above.

No disrespect intended but I also own the 2R, a three pole 3R as well as the Hilleberg Unna. These are all superb tents but you have to know how to pitch them. I have placed upwards of sixty pounds load per stake on my Stephenson, a designed feature, to insure that the tent stayed stable, was tight as a drum, and did not flap or sag during inclement weather.

Once you see the video I think it will clear up any pros or cons in your mind on Stephenson tents. Hilleberg also makes outstanding tents. What I found most unique was the use of breathable waterproof inner tent fabric with a zippered vent at the top of the side door. Hilleberg incorporates the same interior fabric/vent with my Unna as with the Akto. The other thing that I confirmed with Petra was that I did not need to seem seal. I also checked that out with another friend who also owns an Akto that he has had no leaks without seem sealing. The Unna has a lot of interior height and tons of usable space inside. No vestibule, but you can create one. To date I have yet to have a problem handing wet gear inside my tent because I always bring along some extra lightweight garbage sack liners to put my pack and boots in. The Unna tent weight was dead on as advertised. Just remember when you weigh to take out the extra pole that comes with the tent.

David Corbin

@wildyorkie

Locale: New York

I have always been intrigued by the design of Stephenson's Warmlite tents. Although I've only seen them in photos, my impression from reading about them is that they come close to being the perfect tent. I am wondering to what extent Warmlite might be amenable to accomodating customers who are willing to pay extra to have the tent customized to their specifications, in much the same way that Dan McHale will design a backpack to meet a customer's needs and suggestions?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

John,

Warmlite now has a shorter version of their 2person tent due to the requests for such. Apparently, it's very difficult, in some locales to find sufficient real-estate to pitch their 2person tent.

I checked them out a few years ago and they were WAY TOO LARGE for me to use. Stealth sites out in my neck of the woods, in my experience, usually don't have sufficient room to pitch one. Established campsites may NOT have sufficient room unless i was first or second getting there before others had pitched their tents.

The large footprint also translates into longer site prep time to remove anything that might puncture the floor. For me, this sometimes means in the dark (which probably also rules out established sites as they are probably to well occupied by that point to pitch a large footprint shelter).

I also dislike getting everything positioned right and then that last stake won't go in, necessitating a less than perfect pitch or moving the entire shelter slightly (if possible). Smaller is definitely better in finding a good site to make bivouac.

Hopefully, such a behemoth as the 2R will work well where you plan to use it. Just something to consider.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

We owned a 2RS briefly, but it didn't suit our needs. The things we liked least about it were the lack of a separate vestibule to keep rain out and wet gear in, and also no where to cook in inclement weather, the lack of insect netting on the front door which meant you had to keep the door closed even in hot weather, the lack of ventilation…we found the tent was soaked most nights we slept in it, and not just the end walls, but the inner skin as well. It was the most humid (and hot)tent I've used. We also think we had a defective tent as the inner wall hung pretty slackly, often drooping (and wet)onto our sleeping bags, even when the outer was pitched tightly. The side windows were nice, and if I had to use this tent again I think I would put a zipper in one of the side windows and use that side as an awning/vestibule for entry and cooking during wet weather. It would be nice if Stephenson's offered this kind of customisation, as taking to a very expensive tent with a pair of scissors and sewing machine is a little daunting. Another option that would make it more liveable for non-winter trips is to replace the silnylon inner with insect mesh. I now use a Nallo2 instead (for winter trips), and have made a silnylon/insect mesh inner for the Nallo 2 to use the other 3 seasons, in combo with carbon fiber poles. This setup is much more flexible and, in "summer" mode, only weighs 1.7kg. I haven't tried the Atko.

David Corbin

@wildyorkie

See links to pics further below, along with comments pro and con on the 2R.

Anonymous

I have owned and used Stephenson's tents for more than 25 years. They are fantastic. I've used the tents from the southeast to Montana, in all seasons, and have not had issues with condensation, hign winds, or wet gear. I also carry a large plastic trash bag for wet boots, and backpack, etc. ;and depending on the conditions, I often just use one of the side windows as an awning. Last Nov, I used a 26 year-old 3RS in Montana in blowing snow with temperatures dropping below 10 degrees F with no issues. The tent handles the hot, himid, and wet weather of the southeast with equal aplomb.The tents are stable, durable, and versatile-and are lighter and far more comfortable than others. I don't see how they can be beat.

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Isn't it funny how there are such different reviews of this tent!

If they added a floorless vestibule to the front portion of the tent with a mesh for keeping out bugs over the first pole I think it would vastly improve the shelter even if it would add a bit of weight.

John Baird

@jbaird

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T
    Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

QT (Tuan) Luong is the Founder and owner of Large Format Phtography Forum where I also participate as a photographer:

The following is our site for large format photography for anyone interested:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php

There are many other photography forums on-line as well; I also participate on some of those as well.

Rich

David Corbin

@wildyorkie

Photos by QT Luong, who explained the pros and cons of his Stephenson's 2R @ http://terragalleria.com/mountain/info/ice/mk2.html

1) This is the most beautiful picture of a 2R Warmlite tent I have ever seen. It was taken on the West Rib, a technical route at Denali. http://www.terragalleria.com/images/mountain/mcki3374.jpeg

2) Same scene, closer-up. http://www.terragalleria.com/images/mountain/mcki3372.jpeg

3) The Balcony Camp at West Rib, Denali. http://www.terragalleria.com/images/mountain/mcki3367.jpeg

4) View looking out of the tent
    http://www.terragalleria.com/images/mountain/mcki3368.jpeg

5) The tent at a camp at 17,000' on the West Bustress, surrounded by gear. Yes, this all goes into a Lowe Cerro Torre II !
    http://www.terragalleria.com/images/mountain/mcki3385.jpeg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools