Topic

New daypack time, but which one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New daypack time, but which one?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

So my old 30L REI UL Jet is on it's last leg and it time for a new day/running/fastpack. I've used frameless in the past but I hate how they bounce when running. I'm leaning towards something like the Osprey Exos 34. I really like how the top lid is removable and that it can be really compressed when I have smaller loads. I also like how it's ventilated on the back to help keep me cool while moving fast. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pack that is similar? I've also looked at some Innov-8 packs but I don't have a retailer close to me to try one on. I'm looking for something around 30L that doesn't have too much going on with the outside of it. I really like simple packs but I'm willing to sacrifice that part if it means it carries well while moving fast. I have a baseweight of around 6-8lbs if that helps out narrow it down more. I understand this pack will be heavier then my current setup but I'm ok with that as long as it works. If my baseweight goes up then meh, I don't care.

Edited cause I forgot to mention this will also be used for quick overnighters.

Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

I have an Osprey Manta 25 and love it. It is my favorite. They make a Manta 30 if you need a little bigger pack. I also have am Osprey Talon 33. It makes a great 1 or 2 night pack, but I feel it is a little big for a day pack. It is very simple and may be what you are looking for, but look at the Manta series too. Hope this helps.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Check out the Deuter Spectro AC series. They combine the benefits of top-loading with panel-loading (it's essentially a top-loader with an inverted U-shaped zipper to let you get to stuff in the bottom). They're also ventilated and start at 24 liters and go up from there.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You could try on the hornet 32 I don't own one but I do own the jet UL, the hornet should should be easy to find to try on,I have found them at a number of shops in Seattle,you can get them cheaper on the web once you try it on if you like it.It has a removable top lid also and weighs 1lb 5 oz.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/superlight/hornet_32?tab=description

Jason Williams

@whiskey

Locale: Middle Tennessee

I have an Osprey Exos 34 that I use for weekend trips. It very comfortable for me, but I haven't ran in it. The back is cool and it does have good compression. Straps and belts are thin and cool. I'm not crazy about the side pockets, but they work. I just have short arms and can't reach them all that well because they are taller.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

zpacks zero makes the perfect daypack. add all the features you want, don't add any you don't want…

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Oh I've thought abou the Zero long and hard but I think this time around I really want something with back ventilation to help keep me cooler. I was going to consider the REI Flash 18 but I don't think my kit will shrink that small but I might buy one and try it out. I figure if the pack is narrow enough then that'll help ventilate as well or in place of a ventilated back panel.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

exos 34 (as suggested above) may be your ticket then. i carried an exos 58 for like 500 miles and really liked it. i enjoyed the trampoline back for that same airflow reason. buy it with confidence…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools