Topic

White rice is killing you

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition White rice is killing you

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

http://news.yahoo.com/white-rice-linked-type-2-diabetes-study-says-190002021.html

For every serving of white rice per day, your chance of getting type 2 diabetes goes up 11%.

Just personally, I find the publication of this correlation in the same week as the red meat correlation to be ironic indeed! "Don't eat anything – it will kill you!!!"

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"For every serving of white rice per day, your chance of getting type 2 diabetes goes up 11%."

What a generalization! If this were true, I would have died a long time ago.

What timing. I just received my latest blood test results back from my physician. He keeps looking for evidence of various health problems, and there is none there.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I'm having pot roast w/ white rice (& gravy!) for dinner.

Who's with me? What can I say?…I'm a wild man!!!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

So lets see…

I can't eat red meat (or possibly any meat)

I can't eat white rice

I can't have diary

I can't be a vegatarian

I can't eat wheat

I can't eat sugar

I can't eat fats

Anything else I missed?

How about we apply Occum's Razor to diets and only eat what EVERYONE agrees will be good for you? What exactly would such a diet look like?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"What exactly would such a diet look like?"

You can eat boiled, waxed okra.

–B.G.–

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

This happened at a party buffet once where a Mr. Petel from India said to me" I cannot eat anything which has been alive." I thought for a few minutes and suggested that salt should be ok.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The reason they remove the germ from rice is so it has longer shelf life.

When I make rice, I always use brown rice – store it in freezer.

White rice, white flour, sugar in all it's forms, and other simple carbs contribute to obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer – all related.

Of course, if you eat a moderate anount of white rice with a bunch of vegetables or whatever then it's not so bad.

I'm totally ignoring all your negative comments : )

Anonymous
    Inactive

"What can I say?…I'm a wild man!!!"

Nah, a real wild man would use possum.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"White rice, white flour, sugar in all it's forms, and other simple carbs contribute to obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer – all related."

Funny thing: Somewhere north of 4 billion souls use white rice as their main carb source. In large amounts. What am I missing?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"What exactly would such a diet look like?"

30% vegetables, 20% fruit, the rest complex carbs, meat, fat,…

Lots of green vegetables, brightly colored fruit, onions, mushrooms,…

Actualy, surprisingly, the new USFDA "food plate" isn't too bad, except I forget, did the potato lobby get potatoes classified as a vegetable?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"Funny thing: Somewhere north of 4 billion souls use white rice as their main carb source. In large amounts. What am I missing?"

Do they eat white rice or do they eat brown rice?

I'd be surprised if they could afford to remove the germ from the rice. That's only something that us rich people can afford.

Also, they eat lots of vegetables.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

The problem is that the germ is where the rice and other grains store their defensive toxins. So you either eat it with the defensive shell removed or you ingest massive amounts of toxins designed to damage your stomachs lining and prevent its nutrition from being bio available. It may be better to eat white rice with lots of veggies and meat. At least rice is gluten free.

Brian UL

@maynard76

"Funny thing: Somewhere north of 4 billion souls use white rice as their main carb source. In large amounts. What am I missing?'

That Asians eat mostly meats and veggies. Rice is a side dish unless you are poor. Even then, rice is a new modern food staple for the poor, traditionally it was millet and barley.

Not too over simplify I should add that in Asia portions are smaller and they eat a lot less sugar and wheat. Rice is not so bad and a lot better than wheat.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I like brown rice better anyway.

But I will never give up white bread, wheat bread is just so BLEH.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I try to eat brown rice (hulled barley and quinoa are also good), but … white rice tastes so darn good! esp. with black beans.

I suspect the black beans make it ok.

(Also note that many healthy cultures prefer white rice.)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"But I will never give up white bread, wheat bread is just so BLEH"

That makes so sense – white bread is disgusting.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I currently feed my bread machine the following:

2 tsp instant yeast (buy a pound at Smart and Final! keeps in the fridge forever)
    12.5 oz bread flour by weight
    1/3 cup milled flax seeds (substitute 1 tbs of that with chia if you like)
    1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
    1 tsp canola oil (or 1 tbs if you prefer)
    1 tsp molasses (or 1 tbs if you prefer)
    1 tsp salt (or 1 1/2 tsp if you prefer)
    1 1/3 cups water

Eat toasted, with peanut butter.

Update: don't trust spellcheck ingredients

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"I try to eat brown rice (hulled barley and quinoa are also good), but … white rice tastes so darn good! esp. with black beans.

I suspect the black beans make it ok."

I don't find much difference between brown or white rice taste wise – brown rice has sort of a nutty taste.

Definitely the black beans neutralize some of the bad effect. The glycemic index of the total is what's important.

Really, it's not white rice that's making us unhealthy, it's more the cheap high fructose corn syrup that's in everything, the sodas, and french fries,… most people don't eat lots of white rice by itself

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

[x] ignore test delete

Brian UL

@maynard76

"Really, it's not white rice that's making us unhealthy, it's more the cheap high fructose corn syrup that's in everything, the sodas, and french fries,… most people don't eat lots of white rice by itself"

+1
    Rice is not really a problem. Its the processed food i.e. sugar,wheat,soy,HFCS,vegetable oils, and artificial flavorings and preservatives that we should worry about. But the media and government don't want to badmouth the multi trillion dollar junk food industry. When it comes to them we are told all calories are the same, there no such thing as bad food only "empty calories". Its only when it comes to things that have high political/ideological entanglements like meat that the media are willing to propagandize. The fact is that a vegan diet is the perfect most profitable industrial diet. Raising meat is a dirty complex process better suited to small farms and they come with a lot of political and ethical baggage.
    So eat your white rice and stay clear of processed food and you will be fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"That Asians eat mostly meats and veggies. Rice is a side dish unless you are poor. Even then, rice is a new modern food staple for the poor, traditionally it was millet and barley."

Asians have been growing and eating rice for over 2000 years, and it is the largest protion of anything on their plate, thali, or whatever utensil they use. It most definitely is NOT a side dish.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"But the media and government don't want to badmouth the multi trillion dollar junk food industry"

We have the "best government money can buy"

Brian UL

@maynard76

I remember reading they grew rice for the upper classes not for them selves. I need to find it again. The amount may differ country to country, but the fact remains they eat a LOT less sugars and processed food ( thats changing ) and since their diet is full of good meats,fats,and veggies the rice is not going to undermine that especially since rice is not really much of a problem health wise anyway.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Okay so sarcasm aside I didn't realize what was taken out of White Rice. Personally I don't like the stuff unless its mixed with enough meat and vegatables. Wild rice on the other hand is amazing. I don't know how mom cooked it but it was good.

In all seriousness what foods are totally non-controversial? Could you make a realistic diet out of foods that vegatarians, Paleo diet folks, and everyone in between would agree was okay? I'm guessing it would be lots of veggies, nuts and a few fruits?

Brian UL

@maynard76

Here it is:
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-search-of-traditional-asian-diets.html

"In all seriousness what foods are totally non-controversial?"

No such thing, but you may try a diet of fish, eggs, oysters, coconut oils, ghee, root vegetables, green leafy vegetables and …some white rice. Also you may add in some cheese and whole cream. All of it should be local and organic of coarse.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools