Topic

Inquiry about tent/shelter warning labels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Inquiry about tent/shelter warning labels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Fierley

@furls

Locale: White Mountains

Hello all. I have been lurking on BPL for awhile and love the community here. My question is about safety regulations pertaining to affixing warning labels (flame retardant) on temporary structures like tents, tarps and bivy sacks. I have done some google searches and forum investigation and sort of came up dry. From my searches I have found that some states (USA) have regulations for temporary structures with occupancy for 10 or more people. I have noticed that most cottage manufactured shelters do not have any noticeable warning labels, and yet most big name companies have massive sewn in labels. http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2441.htm has some info. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the matter.

Nathan

John Arwood
    Spectator

@johnlarwood

Locale: Mountians of East Tennessee

I do not have any useful info on standards, but here is a tip:

If you do purchase a shelter with a large hanging label, before you "carefully" cut it off, consider whether it may be in a good spot for a pocket. It may be made of Tyvek & by sewing on an equal size piece of your perfered material, presto-changeo, instant pocket!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> safety regulations pertaining to affixing warning labels (flame retardant)
    Yeah, known problem.
    Someone does something stupid and gets burnt, so the politicians pass all sorts of laws to 'protect the consumer' – as if a law can protect some idiot from himself. They do this mainly to garner votes. Some bureaucrats do it for the jollies as well. But everyone else suffers the penalties.

Some States have all sorts of 'safety' laws like this. Others don't. If a big brand company wants to sell in all States, they have to comply with every directive in every State – stupid or otherwise. Smaller cottage companies simply don't sell to some States.

Just remember: the 'flame retardants' are turning out to have seriously bad environmental consequences, and are usually pretty toxic for humans as well. And they don't work very well either on small tarps and tents.

Cheers

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Warning labels on how fire proof a tents have been on tents since the 80's burning nylon stick to your skin like napalm and burn injuries are worse. The waring labels regulation go state by state even mattress are fireproof.
    Here in California they have warning signs on all brick buildings that have with been standing for 75 plus years for earthquake danger. The building have survived numerous earth quakes that say the building may cave in on you.
    I like the label pocket idea.
    Terry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools