Topic

Most comfortable CCF pad? (Z Lite vs Ridgerest SoLite vs other?)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Most comfortable CCF pad? (Z Lite vs Ridgerest SoLite vs other?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Z Lite – 20"x72" -14 oz – R2.6
    Ridgerest SoLite – 20"x72" – 14 oz – R2.8

My primary concern is comfort. The R value's are close enough that I don't care. So which do you think is more comfortable? I went to a sporting goods store yesterday and tried both, felt about the same, I couldn't discern much difference but it was a brief test, hoping others have more feedback.

Also my plan with the Ridgerest SoLite was to use it burrito style in my pack as a frame which I read works really well. Can you use the accordion style ZLite on the back of the pack and get similar results or is burrito style superior for adding pack stability/frame?

Lastly, Dick's Sporting Goods has the classic version of these two pads which appear to be exactly the same minus the reflective coating but cheaper. Is the reflective coating worth paying maybe $10 more?

David Ure

@familyguy

Yeah – I think you have hit the nail on the head. They are essentially the same except for packing. I prefer the Z-lite but these are so close it will be which one YOU prefer.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have both pads. The Z lite if you cut a 10" panel off one end and fold from the center on both sides it makes a nice 2 inch thick by 10 inch wide flat pad you can slide in to a back sleeve in your pack.

Now I am a heavier person I go back and forth in weight 185 lbs. to 200 lbs. The Z lite compress to thin to only about 1/4 inch thick or less at my torso area when sleeping on it. The ridgerest stay at 3/8" thick when I lay down on it.

Durability The ridgerest win hand down because it won't tear verse a Zlite can tear easy at the the thin according folds.
    Terry

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

the most comfortable ccf pads are the thickest ones.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

"the most comfortable ccf pads are the thickest ones."

These two pads aren't that much different in thickness, more so the egg shell vs the ridges.

John Le

@jplblue

Locale: Northeast

I've never tried a z-lite, but I've used a Ridgerest and have a Ridgerest SoLite. The coating is definitely worth the extra $10. I've used the SoLite down to the mid 30s. For $20, I think the SoLite short is the best value for a sleeping pad.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

They have a Zlite sol with coating now too. Saw it in store today.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Yep sure do. I found it locally (no shipping) for only $5 less so might as well get the newer, coated model either way I go.

I am leaning towards the Ridgerest mainly for the burrito style packing. Gonna think about it for a while and see.

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Locale: West

Kind of like asking which enema is best…UGH!

CCF pads are just not comfortable, bit of an oxymoron. But if you gotta do it, I also have a RidgeRest SOlite small. It can be trimmed down a little to make into a true torso pad depending on your measurements. Just knowing that Skurka uses one (from his new book) and likes it made mine instantly feel more comfortable! :)

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I like my RR Sol. The only problem with using it burrito style is that it does seem to take up a lot of space because it is thick and not the most flexible. Not a deal breaker but just something to take into consideration. I usually just roll and carry it outside my pack for this reason (I use an internal frame pack for anything over 20lbs anyway).

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I used a Ridgerest for about 4 years with no noticeable loss of cushion. I tried a Z Lite for the smaller packed size and after 1 year of average use (about 20 nights) I noticed it was much thinner in the shoulder and hip area. I now use a SOLite.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

I've used a z-rest which I've progressively cut shorter and shorter. It's down to 6 panels which fold flat as a back pad pretty decently.I could never make it work any longer than 6 though. Some people sorta do a tube or 'u' shape I think but it was not very space efficient at all in my tries. Also the eggshell is very grippy so stuffing/removing things is a bit of a pain. (great for less than ideally level campsites though)

I'm also looking at the RR as a good way to spend my $20ish rei dividend.

I think the buritto is the best way if you need to use a pad as a frame.

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

IMO Zlites are junk – They break down quickly and flatten after only a few uses. My favorite CCF pad by far is the Gossamer Gear Nightlight – Much better construction, nice dense foam and pretty light at about 10oz for 50" length: http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/nightlight-sleeping-pad-3-4.html

I believe GG had a full length pad but may no longer sell it…

Bridget Guildner
    Spectator

@bridgie

Locale: Cascadia

How about the Ridge Rest Solar (used to be the Ridge Rest deluxe)? I've been thinking of buying one of these to replace my ancient, heavy, torso-length Thermarest, but they don't stock it at any of my local outdoor stores so I can't test it out. In terms of comfort, how much of an improvement is it compared to the regular Ridge Rest?

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Bridget – I wondered the same thing myself. The Ridgerest SoLite is .62" thick, the Solar is .75" thick, noticeably heavier though.

I have never even seen a Solar in person so I would love to hear comments from someone who has tried both the RR's to see if the Solar would be worth the extra weight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought one for longer trips not wanting to incur the high risk that my more comfortable Neo Air springs a leak early in a lengthy trip. This is a very comfortable pad. The big down side is that the comfort providing thickness takes significant space packing it burrito style.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

or you can easily cut it down a few panels at a time until you find the length/weight that is comfortable for you. either way, it's really a great pad.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools