Topic

Junk Food

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Sparked by some intense health food debates on the forum recently I'm just curious… is anyone else like REALLY unhealthy when it comes to food. I mean I get that for some people hiking is a way to promote a healthy lifestyle, sometimes motivated by previous health problems.

But for me, I hike because I just love the wilderness, I love being out there on the mountain, the fresh air, the sounds of nature, greenery, all of that. It's not about being healthy, it's the (slightly hedonistic) desire to spend my life somewhere beautiful.

But I am a man of vices. I smoke, drink, do drugs, and most of all, I freaking LOVE fast food. And a burger will keep till at least the second day on the trail, three days for taco bell (I could feel all of cringing). I guess this gets in to LYOL territory, but I was just curious if hiking is synonymous with off-trail healthy eating, cause all of you seem to be pretty healthy.

Are there others like me who just like greasy foods?

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Disclaimers: (This might belong in chaff; I'm legitimately curious, not trolling; we can still be friends just cause I have comparatively horrible eating habits!! Seriously, if you asked I would totally finish my burger out of eye shot of you, behind a tree or something, I wouldn't even need a napkin, the tears would wash away stray food…. ; ) )

I have no hiking companions, none of my friends enjoy the outdoors in more than a car camping way so I only do solo hikes, so I'm very adamant about that last disclaimer lol

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Yes, I cringed…. lol. (I might not have 20 years ago). Have you watched the movie Super Size Me?

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

certainly not pressing judgement,
    we ALL have vices, no?
    bottom line: you gotta live and to SOME extent–whatever gets you there
    no less, food plays a quintessential role in furthering my outdoor affection.
    the more time i spend outdoors, the deeper my connection to the land.
    one of life's fabrics is food.
    food=fuel
    my body performs (in all regards) when i feed it right.
    there's too an inherent gratification knowing my food choices bettered the earth.
    one word: moderation?
    (including moderation) :)
    lt

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Oh I like junk food but I can't eat it :-( I don't drink or smoke either – but again, it is health reasons. I miss drinking!!

If I want bad stuff I have to make it at home so it ends up being not-so-junky (ie. none of the things I must avoid).

I can say that I love the outdoors in a similar way though – my eating has little to do with it, rather I eat my crazy diet for my health. Sigh. Ah the days of hiking and eating Poptarts and Stove Top..lol!

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Yes I remember Super Size Me. Sadly and for many of us in my health class at the time, it didn't phase me at all. And I suppose at 21, maybe a healthier lifestyle will come with age.

Perhaps also with a few more years backpacking experience under my belt. I've only been in "going to the woods" for a couple years now.

Also I do eat healthy sometimes lol. Some of ya'lls meals sounded too good not to try. I just supplement that with a lot of crap.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"And a burger will keep till at least the second day on the trail,"

Maybe try one from a vending machine. They generally have a shelf life measured in years. You could have one every day that way. ;=)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…it'll happen. Enjoy your youth!! Once ya get married your wife will make you eat flaxseed, chia seeds and er…oh dang it…that is how I feed my husband.'

Hehheh!!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Tom… I just about peed my pants laughing at the vending machine comment. Shudder.

Sarah… that sounds remarkably like our house.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools