Topic

shell fabric confusion!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear shell fabric confusion!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Twerdun
    BPL Member

@westcoasthiker

Locale: Vancouver Island Canada

Hey, how good is Pertex as a shell fabric for sleeping bag/blanket? More specifically, what is the difference between Pertex 4,5,6? I did not know that there were #'s involved! I always thought it was like- Quantum, ultralight, etc. What is the deal? Can someone please straighten this out for me! Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated! OR, am i barking up the wrong tree with pertex as a shell material, then what is the ULTIMATE shell material?(waterproof/resistant,breathable,windproof, and light in weight) PLEASE HELP! I AM ALMOST LOSING SLEEP OVER THIS! Can someone finally put this to bed for me(pun intended). westcoasthiker, Jeff.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Unless you live in the UK pertex is a pain to properly source for MYOG, and it's not much better even if you do live in the UK.

There is no ultimate. The lighter you go the less durable, less downproof and usually less weather resistant, however with care both of those traits are still good enough for real world use. So assuming you can find quality sources, often color and price become your deciding factors.

Look at the m50/m90 fabric from thru-hiker.com, or the SevenD and KG-8D from titaniumgoat.com. All of these fabrics are very light (1oz or less per sqyd), have a quality DWR for splash protection and some are fairly affordable. The KG-8D, SevenD, and M50 will leak down at any seems, but not at a rate that will affect warmth within the next 5 years or so. Really more of a cosmetic issue.

In practice, it's hard to go "wrong" with the thru-hiker and titaniumgoat fabrics so just buy whatever catches your eye, you'll be happy enough. Down the road when you have more knowledge you may have slight "preferences" but I doubt you'll find any real "deal breaker" issues with those fabrics.

Jeff Twerdun
    BPL Member

@westcoasthiker

Locale: Vancouver Island Canada

Thanks Dustin, I just got a great deal on some-well-lots (7lbs.) of 850FP. @ a great deal here in Canada. Just wanted to make use of the material to the best of it's ability. My first DIY project, trying to make it as professional as possible! I really want this to turn out well(meaning when i am counting on this when i am out on the trail) Anywho, thanks again! Jeff-happy hiking!

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

http://zpacks.com/materials.shtml Joe has .95oz/yd Pertex Quantum

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Thanks josh, i keep forgetting that Joe now offers Pertex.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

I know it's not relavent now, but as far as I know:
    FYI:

6 5 4 are plain weave with decreasing weights (toughness), (6 is well over 2oz sqyd) then weightwise it goes downwards to various flavours of Microlite and then Quantum which are both ripstop.

All are downproof. The newer pertexs will have DWR but old stocks of 6/5/4/ (still available in the UK may not have any at all or very Durable DWR)

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> Unless you live in the UK pertex is a pain to properly source for MYOG

Perseverence Mills (and Pertex) was sold to Mitsui in 2005, so Pertex is no longer manufactured in the UK. And so UK supplies of Pertex for DIY have almost vanished.

The sad thing is that a profitable, world-leading company with overflowing order books couldn't find a UK buyer (manufacturing: dirty word), and had to go to the far east. The good thing is that the new owners have invested in new fabrics, and continued to expand the brand.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools