Topic

Hipbelt Camera Case

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hipbelt Camera Case

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Thought I would share my newest project, a camera case for my new Lumix GF2.

http://kringlelight.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/camera-case/

I haven't finished the raw edges yet, simply because of laziness. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much VX07 and 3D spacer mesh unravel? This case will go with me on a 3 month long thru hike on the AT, and I need to make sure it will make it through that hike. If it will be fine with raw edges, I will leave it that way for now at least. If not, I will go ahead and finish the edges with some grosgrain binding.

I'm pretty happy with the bag, but I think I am going to do a bit of seam ripping and change out the elastic for something else. I'll test it some and decide for sure.

If I have some time during all my prepping I will go ahead and make a guide for it as well.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

It looks great! Better looking than the camera case I recently made for my NEX. From the pictures I can't really make out how the closure works. It looks like you just fold the flaps together and keep them in place with velcro, but that wouldn't be very waterproof (which does appear to be the intention).

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Chris, I don't know if you're man or machine, but keep it up and soon MYOG will come to stand for Muthig Your Own Gear. Thanks for sharing and Good luck on the AT.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

The top is just a simple roll top closure with velcro. I roll them down a couple of folds then pull the closed folds down, where they connect at the bottom with velcro.

Waterproof wasn't the goal of this case so much as water resistant. I haven't sealed any of the seams on the pocket and didn't plan to as of now, so it wouldn't be waterproof anyways. My normal plan in the rain is to take the whole case and put it into the garbage compactor bag I keep inside of my pack for extra water protection. If it is really raining out, I have very little need of my camera as I hike anyways.

Thanks for the compliments. Your case was what actually gave me a lot of help on mine. I was also lucky enough to have both 3D mesh and VX07 just sitting around in large amounts, so I chose to use those instead of sil.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

"Your case was what actually gave me a lot of help on mine."

Glad I could be of help. That's what I love about forums like this. One project is the inspiration for a next project which in turn inspires 3 others to make something of their own.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools