Topic

Fastest drying long sleeve baselayer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fastest drying long sleeve baselayer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

So I've mentioned it before but I'm doing a lot of trail running in the rain. I don't use a rain jacket when running since I'll just "sweat out" anyways wearing it. But I'm having a hard time with the drying times of my garments. I've been running in my thicker Under Armour shirt and also my Icebreaker 150 shirt. Both are long sleeve which I like. I was looking towards the Patagonia silk weight synthetic shirts but was wondering what shirt will dry the fastest?

My wife's great answer was, "aren't you trying to go SUL or something? Just don't wear a shirt when you run. Put it on when you get to wear your going and ta da! Dry shirt".

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

something like nike drifit or one of the cheaper copies …

you can find long sleeve running shirts at discounted prices at yr local outlet mall/store … shouldnt cost more than 10-20$ on clearance, and they are ALWAYS on clearance

Jason Williams

@whiskey

Locale: Middle Tennessee

I like your wife's innovative idea.

For me the looser woven, more mesh-like fabrics dry faster than the tighter compression style shirts.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Agree with Jason's comment.

The Patagonia Cap 2 is actually more breathable and faster drying than the Cap 1 due to it's more open weave. Directly from Patagonia "Its open-knit construction breathes, wicks moisture and clocks the fastest dry time of all our performance baselayer fabrics".

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-capilene-2-lightweight-baselayer-crew?p=44811-0-920

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Patagonia Cap 1 or 2 is one option.

A running shirt is another. I have several from a number of brands, and I've found Adidas to be above average. They're all fairly similar, and you won't know until you go for a run which is "better."

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Both are made with arcteryx phasic fabric and dry faster than anything I've seen. Odor resistant as well.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Sorry just read the thread all the way through and I think I missed the original point. My bad ;)

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Jason:
    My wife's idea stems from the fact that since I won't be wearing a shirt I don't have to buy another new shirt. She's trying to be thrifty, but I will say she does make a valid point sometimes with her "leave it at home" approach to reducing pack weight.

This sounds stupid but I didn't even think about largely loose woven fabric like jerseys for running. I had some notion that it had to be a baslayer type (capiline series etc.). I think I'll try the Nike Outlet near my work for something.

Thanks!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'd second Chris on the Arc'Teryx phase SL or motus. The phase fabric wicks like nothing I've ever experienced. I can soak the shirt, squeeze it out and in about 10 minutes it'll be mostly dry (granted here in the desert most things will dry pretty quickly). I would take a water bottle with you into and REI and do some side by side tests!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

^^^^ i can do that with my 8$ mec shirt which ive used on climbs, the gym, snowshoeing, running for the last 3 years, and doesnt have a single hole or loose thread ;)

the one im abbrading against the granite here … i have a long sleeve version as well for around 8$

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

Almost any thin synthetic shirt / baselayer will do it. I wouldn't spend to much for it. It will get soakd in sweat and start to stink anyway, no synthetic fabric will keep up with this if you work really hard on a warm day.

I would avoid wool at all, unless it is cold.

@eric
    : are you climbing the Chief in that picture?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

waderlust … its the lower pitches of the squamish chief … the lower apron …

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the shirts with a more open weave. It's hard to make a recommendation as the big manufacturers seem to come out with a new version every season. I swear you need a micrometer and scale to tell some of the Capilene stuff apart. I have shirts from North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia and GoLite that all work, but aren't available. For that matter, I have found base layer shirts in thrift stores that were give-aways for running events that work just fine. Too bad they are plastered with advertising.

One tip: never use fabric softener or dryer sheets with your synthetics or rain gear. It messes up the wicking properties and breathable membrane.

Andrey Skr

@al1traveller

Craft ZEROEXTREME. It is not very common, but it really works. I stopped care to be wet at all. And not heavy – 4-5oz (M-L-XL).

http://shop.craftsports.us/men/tops/mens-zero-extreme-long-sleeve.html

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

+1 for Patagonia Cap 1/2. I have the LS version and it dries very quickly.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I air-dry my baselayers (hung on hangers on shower curtain rod in mostly unused guest bathroom), to avoid the fabric softener sheets I use in the dryer (which impair the brethability of base layers). I did a comparison a year ago–results based on what I own:

Fastest: Capilene 2

A little slower: Capilene 3 and 4

A little slower yet: REI MTS midweight and Patagonia Merino 1 (actually 30% nylon)

Slowest: Smartwool equivalent of Capilene 2.

Interestingly, though, the Smartwool feels dryer even when still damp!

I also did a test of socks several years ago, Smartwool vs. Thorlo, same weight: The Smartwool were dry over an hour before the Thorlo. This really surprised me, based on my experience with other wool vs. synthetics. I gave up Thorlo after that, especially since the Smartwool for me are more comfortable and feel more comfortable even when wet. It also helps that the Smartwool socks have imperceptible seams over the top of the toes, which I need because of my hammertoes. I plan to check out a couple other brands of meriono wool socks which I understand wear longer, but a lot depends on how those toe seams are constructed.

Merino sheep are amazing animals! They used to be in minimal demand because their wrinkled skin makes them hard to shear, but their wool is #1!

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

Another one here for Patagonia Cap 2 – very fast drying. That's what I wear trail running on the wet coast. It's the fastest drying, most comfortable base layer I've found. Often, it'll be wet on the hike/approach and by the time I've got my camp set-up it's dry. It's a great piece and very light too. I've got a bunch of different brands on my shelf, but that's the one I reach for every time. Cap 1 is OK, but it takes longer to dry. Merino provides very lightweight warmth, but it stays wet f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I tested all my garments many years ago. I ran them through the washer and spin cycle and then hung them to dry. The polypropolene (sp?) dried the fastest.

Apples to apples comparisons are hard, however. The weave and weight of the garments are also factors in drying times. Fiberfill enclosed in ripstop nylon, for example, dried quickly. Knitted polyester socks and loose weave nylon running shorts dried more slowly than I anticipated. Something about the weave seems to hold on to big water droplets.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools