Topic

Patagonia UL Down Jacket vs. Montbell UL Down Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia UL Down Jacket vs. Montbell UL Down Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

Torn between the two. Primary uses will be California three season backpacking / car camping and for my trip to Europe next month. Like the black color as it's a little more low-key for urban exploring.

Leaning toward the Patagonia b/c I can purchase through REI with dividend + 20% discount coupon.

Also considering the hooded versions of each jacket. Worth the extra cost / weight? Kind of a personal preference, I guess.

Looking for advice, thanks guys!

Shane

(PS, hopefully this hasn't been asked before. I tried to search for it)

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The MB is cut fairly trim so size up if you want to layer under it (it is designed to be an inner jacket though, ie midlayer). Not sure about the cut of the Patagonia since I've heard some of their stuff is boxy and some isn't. Beyond that, the only other major difference is often cost and availability.

I say get the hoods. They are heavier but disproportionately warmer than their weight gains. For the MB the weight goes up 1.5oz in size medium (about 20%) however I would say it's at least 20% warmer (probably 50% for me). This is because you lose so much heat through your neck and head that having one fully integrated hood traps all that precious heat and your body pumps it to your extremities instead of your brain.

Now some people just don't like hoods though and prefer a balaclava so that's up to you. I prefer modular systems for most things, but if there's a risk that increasing modularity increases loss of an item (like your insulating hat blown away in a strong wind on a mountain summit) I prefer simplicity (I will only buy hooded jackets, no hood means I'll go all out and do no sleeves too and stick with a vest).

David Affleck

@utcoyote

I can't help with comparison, as I've never used either. But, I did order the Patagonia Ultralight Down Jacket last week (hooded). Then, earlier today, read a "State of the Market" article here, on ultralight down jackets.

I'm not even a noob backpacker yet – I'm in the planning and gear aquisition phase of becoming a noob. Now I kind of wish I'd read that article earlier…

After reading the article, I think I may well have chosen the Montbell for my purposes, had I read it before ordering. The Patagonia with multiple zippered pockets etc, I "suspect" won't do as well as the Montbell in a warmth for weight comparison. I don't know that for a fact though, can't remember the specs of the Montbell off the top of my head.

Since you mention far more multiple use scenarios, including urban, your choice may well head towards the Patagonia anyway though.

One other thing I can mention that might be of some use, is to shop around for a bit if you choose the Patagonia. I found it for just over half of what REI charges. The place I ordered it just last week (6pm.com) doesn't have them now, but from the research I've been doing the last couple of weeks, I think with just a little bit of looking and patience you can find it for around $170. Save your REI dividend and discount for other gear perhaps?

Lastly, and I just want to get this out there since this is my first post on the forum – I think access to the information here that comes with a membership is WELL, WELL worth the price for an aspiring noob like myself. I'm going to save the membership cost many times over in making more informed, practical purchasing decisions because of the information here. The article I mention above, has precisely the information you need to make an informed choice in this specific instance.

– Dave

Jonathan Rozes

@jrozes

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I've had both on recently. Both have a somewhat athletic cut, the Patagonia perhaps a bit more so. I'm a medium usually, but I needed a large Montbell. The hoods are well designed and worth the additional weight. They can be cinched down around your face and they stay out of the way when not in use. In the end, I bought the MB because I was able to get a much better deal on it. Either one is a winner though.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

FWIW, the MB is 30% off here: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301133
    Limited sizes though.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Warranty.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Another vote for the hood! I recently picked up a Patagonia UL down hoody, my first hooded down jacket. I'm really liking having the hood so far, like others, I find it really adds quite a bit of warmth to be able to cover your neck/head. I've brought along the UL down hoody rather than the down shirt the last couple of trips because I like that hood! I normally wear a L but sized up to XL because I found the UL down hoody to fit pretty slim and I wanted to be able to layer underneath it.

As far as Patagonia vs Montbell, I think it comes down to personal preference.

Montbell might be a little lighter but the outer shell seems a little less durable and at least for me, my montbell UL down pants have consistently leaked feathers at the seams and baffles whereas I haven't had a problem with any of my Pata down jackets.

In the end, you probably can't go wrong with either, so maybe it's just about whichever one fits best and/or you can get for the best deal.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

whatever gets you the best price

the difference between the brands is mainly fit, amount of down and post sale service … ive had several down jackets over the years and synth … and honestly the differences are minimal

and NO ONE beats EB for warranty ;)

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

you can go to a 9 ounce jacket, head down to Costco and get one of their ultra light down jackets in the kids section. I wear a M in Montbell and got the size XL in the Costco jacket and it is great. This includes a hood and a stuff sack. Very nice piece for $29.99. They come in Blue, Green, and Black. Not sure if they are still in stock, but worth a look. And for those who don't want a label this jacket is label-less.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools