Topic

Route selection in the smokies Help Please!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Route selection in the smokies Help Please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe Hayes

@jhayes6405

Hello all,
    I'm Joe and this is my first real post here. I enjoy a lot of BPL as a reader.

I work out of the country and am home every couple of months. January was the last time I was home and I did 5 days solo on the BMT and AT. I normally leave the cell at home but was in the process of selling my house so I had it in case. Well I had service at the Mollies Gap shelter inNC. When my dad asked where I was, and I told him, he replied he had stayed at the same shelter 30 years prior!
    This got my mind working as I have spent so many years away, I have grown apart from a lot of family. I want to do something about that before its too late. So my Dad and I would like to return to the same area in April to do some walking together. My question is, he has an old knee injury that acts up with extremely hilly terrain. Does Anyone know a not so hilly area somewhere around Knoxville/Fontana area that would be good for a nice leisurely out and back over nighter? I know it's the smokies and hills are inherent, but there has to be a 6-8 mile stretch around there that is a bit more mild……….right?
    I wouldgreatly appreciate any advice. Please excuse my poor spelling, I'm on a mobile device and have a backwoods TN education!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I am planning a trip to the Smokies for this weekend right now, so I have my map. There is a lot of mild terrain around Cades Cove. You could leave Cades Cove out Abrams falls and loop back on Rabbit Creek Trail or Cooper Road Trail. There is an extension if you wanted to go a little further. Good luck re-connecting.

Joe Hayes

@jhayes6405

Ben,
    Thanks I will check it out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools