Topic

Ultralight Tent for Denali

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Tent for Denali

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm planning to backpack in Denali National Park this summer for 8 to 10 days and would like some advice on tents.

Would the HMG Echo I or Echo II tents be appropriate? Would they withstand high wind and/or snow? Would I be better off with a pyramid tent (e.g., MLD Duomid).

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I don't know much about Denali, but I'd go the pyramid route. Its a tried and true design. I've got the HMG Echo I and it is a fine piece of gear and well made, but for a mountain like Denali, I'd go pyramid.

Heck, even a mid may not be the best choice for that arena.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Just a backpacking trip? I think the Echo tents would be fine.

A climbing trip, OTOH, not so much.

What's your plan while you're up there?

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

David,
    I have been backpacking in Denali twice for a week each time. The weather changes every second, it could be 65 and you are too hot, then hailing, then raining, then snowing, then back to hot again. It’s a strange place with 20 hours of daylight, it produces its own weather so be prepared for anything. The snow usually stays above about 5000ft in the summer, so below that it will rain, and rain, and rain, or it may not and be nice the whole time. The first time I went it was mellow, the second time was a beast, it rained nonstop for 4 days. The mosquitoes are UNREAL, it’s almost like you want it to rain and be windy. Anyway, the HMG Echo will work if you have the inner tent. I went with a single wall dome tent and it worked well. One thing I suggest is to bring an extra tarp that you can pitch in front of the tent so you can keep dry in the down time, also you can catch rain water off of it. Get ready to see lot's of bears! Any other questions please ask. Here was my setup.

dd

ddd

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

>> What's your plan while you're up there?

I'm just planning to backpack, no mountain climbing for me! :-)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo
    Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

And the associated gear list to that denali trip

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hage_stowe_denali_light_post_expedition.html

They used a mountaineering tent, but again were climbing not just backpacking…

Skurka got by with a MLD Solomid and from what Dave Chenault and Ryan Jordan say about 'mids you should be fine. They are probably the best all around designs.

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

I was a hiking and backpacking guide in Denali for three years and went on a lot of trips. I used a DuoMid.

I had my fair share of beautiful weather (highs in the 60s-70s, partly cloudy to sunny, little to no rain). On those days, I didn't generally care what my shelter was—pretty much any UL shelter, including a small tarp, would have been fine. But I ended more days than not soaking wet in 45-55F temps with gusty wind. And when that was the case, I wanted a shelter that was:

1) Quick to put up so I could get out of the nastiness ASAP and into warm, dry clothes.
    2) Solid in high wind so I didn't have to stress about my shelter failing.
    3) Fully enclosed so I could seal out the nastiness and keep my warm, dry gear warm and dry.
    4) Roomy so I could spread out my wet gear, cook, and fully relax.

The DuoMid was a 5/5 for everything but wind. It was very good in wind, a 4/5, but not so bomber as to feel unassailable. Something less flappy would have made me feel better at times. I've since moved to a TrailStar, which I find as good in the other areas and much better in wind.

I never found bugs to be enough of a problem that I needed a bug shelter. For whatever reason, not many bugs came into my shelter, and those that did ended up in the peak.

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Thanks everyone for your help.

I've decided to go with a Duomid along with a custom Ookworks inner.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools