Topic

Washing a down bag, no spin cycle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Washing a down bag, no spin cycle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I recently washed my down bag in the bath tub. Didn't want to risk loading it into my top-loading washer just to spin the water out. Put it in the drier, wow, sure is taking a long time to get rid of the surface water on the bag. Ah, put some towels in with the bag, remove when they are wet. Add more towels until the surface of the bag is dry, and the down drying can begin.

Steve

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Very creative!!

Did you put in some Tennis shoes or Tennis balls to help break up the down clumps when drying?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Didn't want to risk loading it into my top-loading washer just to spin the water out.
    I do use a top-loader for the spin cycle. I pack the down item in LOOSELY so that it is not stretched whwen against the outer wall. Spinning REALLY makes a huge difference! Takes about 1 full day in the sun to dry, with some declumping by beating.

Cheers

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Yes, I did, but only because of recommendations from other places on the net (feathered friends website, zpacks, etc). Hand de-clumping the down is the most effective and needed (even with tennis balls), but sooooo time consuming…

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools