Topic

Keeping out the bugs w/out a tent screen…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Keeping out the bugs w/out a tent screen…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jon Franklin

@junto01

I'd really like to buy the Hexamid without the net to save the 6oz but bugs are a big problem for me in my local, particularly ants(they do bite). Using a head-net with a sleeping bag doesn't cut it either, the ants find a way in. Has anyone been successful with velcrowing a full cover head net to their bag to achieve a virtual bug-proof setup? Maybe there are other techniques out there that people have used? Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and make peace with the addiitonal 6oz as long as it provides some worthwile comfort and escape from the darn ants.

Junto

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No actual experience, but I don't see that working, unless you fully velcro the entire length (or perimeter). But in that case, if you insist on connecting headnet with sleeping bag, then I would just add a zipper instead.

Todd G
    Spectator

@todd-g

I am not real familiar with the hexamid. But, I have given lots of thought to going a floorless/netless tent; however, I figure with ticks in Arkasas, and mosquitoes, etc, I'll just carry the little extra weight. If you want to even out, just dump something else.
    Also, the net weighs 6 oz, lets say your velcro headnet weighs 3 oz. Therefore you get uncomfortable sleep for savings of 3 oz.
    Yea, some will say, carry deet, etc, but that crap stinks.

Ben F

@tekhna

Just eat the 6oz, unless you want to get eaten.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

a screen floor so the ants 'll crawl right in. Great tent. Call Joe and see what he recommends for this problem.

Jon Franklin

@junto01

Good point. That's how I think too when considering which layers to take along, if an extra 4oz keeps me warm and comfortable than it's worth it. Cold and light or uncomfortable(bug bitten) and light is not fun.

Jon Franklin

@junto01

Thanks for the tip Warren, I'll look into that.

Update: This is straight from the website under the bug net details for the hexamid plus……"It keeps 100% of insects, spiders, ticks, etc out!"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools