Topic

Few Nexbiew Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Few Nexbiew Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

**Appologies for the double post!?!?**

Hi all, great site, wonderful content!

I’m just getting on the lightweight theme, starting to make sense to me the more I use it, however, it’s a gradual evolution as I’m sure your all aware.

1) Tarptent Virga2 looks to be my choice with the sewn in floor. In European weather including the UK and Alpine areas, would you still use a l/w bivy bag?

2) Any of you guys doing European week hikes, with regards to clothing I’ve got a feeling (fear) the ‘standard’ gear quoted here is not suitable. So instead I’m thinking a heavier combo of say GoLite Belay parker for ins and the eVENT superfly instead of the normal Superfly – but this is all extra weight!! Ahhhhrg! Any experiences with UK or mainland Europe clothing systems would be much appreciated!

Thanks and regards.

Roland
    BPL Member

@robson

well I live in Germany and I can tell you what I usually take along on a hike.
    I did half of the SouthWestCoast Path in England a few years ago, and would recommend rain pants and jacket and wind shirt.(very important). Did this hike in May, had storm luckily not too much rain.
    The Alps. I crossed the Alps from Munich to Venice and did well with the Squall, no bivy, only insulation I had, was a Primaloft Sweater, and Long underwear from Ullfrotte. Rain wear was SilNylon Poncho. But then the trail was pretty comfortable to hike and not very high, plus I had great weather.
    Depends where you go, lots of cabins along the trails, that works like a hostel, you can eat, sleep etc..but pretty expensive, sometimes convienient.
    This year I’m gonna cross the Alps from East To West, and decided to go for Rain Jacket and RainPants to have more protection, only insulation gonna be the cocoon. In my opinion, if you have no intention to do some climbing I would leave the Belay at home (I have it too, only wear it in Winter)
    Roland

Anonymous

Thanks Roland, that’s great info, much appreciated.
    So even in the UK you can get by with just a regular Superfly, for example,, and don’t need the extra protection of the new eVENT Superfly? (I read that it’s ideal for UK weather – but i suppose it all depends on comfort level.)
    I would be interested in your Alp route or if you have any good reference sites for Alp crossing that would be great, I’m very interested. Have you done Zugspitze yet? It’s on my list.

Would you recommend the Squall over the Virga?

Thanks again for your time and info.

Anonymous

The Squall would be preferable to the Virga to keep your bag dry as you can stay further away from the sides in the event of wind driven rain. Not sure of the chance of condensation in the Alps. Could get some in the rainy British Isles.

This is important if you are not using a bivy & your sleeping bag does not employ a water repellant fabric, like Epic, or possibly a DWR finish – but I might not chance it with only a DWR finish.

Anonymous

Ok, thanks for that. But would you consider the Squall with built in floor and a bivy overkill? Better to leave out the built in floor I would think?

Roland –
    Was it the Traumpfad that took you from Munich to Venice? How long did you take – around 28days?

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

You should really consider looking at the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. It is lighter than the Virga, still has plenty of room, and one’s bag has basically no way to contact condensation because there is 15 inches of mesh around the bottom. I have used it extensively and actually like it more than the Virga. It is very weatherproof and good with the wind. I could go on and on. Check it out and ask if you have more questions.

http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Jason Shaffer

@pilgrim

Hi Matthew,
    What do you think of the setup process for the lunar solo, as opposed to the tarp tents? That seemed to be BPL staff’s main gripe, basically that it was harder to get a taut pitch on uneven ground, when cold & tired, etc.
    -Jason

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Setting up the Lunar Solo is really no problem at all. It does takes a couple of times to get the best way down pat. By the fourth time, I was having no problem. The key is to use eight inch stakes (recommended by the maker). This allows for proper tension and space between the canopy and floor. They sell them right on the website, and they work great. Seriously, I put it up over the weekend on a trip in less than four minutes. You would be fine with it.

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Keep in mind that the new “enhanced” version was not tested by BPL. It is a lot better, and the flaws of the last one have been fixed very well.

Roland
    BPL Member

@robson

Yes it was the “Traumpfad”, and I found it a very wonderful and relaxing trail. Very comfortable to hike, may 2 or 3 spots where you have to be a bit more careful, but all and all no problems at all. I didn’t hike all the the way to Venice, I stopped in Belluno, I think 2 or 3 days off Venice, simply because I wasn’t interested in Venice (I can go there easily for a weekend) and you are leaving the mountains in Belluno.
    I’m a very fast hiker, and I made Munich-Belluno in 13 days I believe. But beware…it is a very popular trail so expect some people. There’s a web-site about the trail but it is in German, but they have a kind of different maps so you can get an idea how the trail goes. if you wanna have more infos on that you can mail me at:
    rhacky(at)yahoo.dot.com
    I don’t wanna “bore” the forum…

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

If you are still considering getting a rain jacket consider the Integral Designs (ID) eVENT rain jacket. Check the ID listing at: http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=763.

It is on sale for $199.99 at Prolite Gear: http://www.prolitegear.com/integral_designs_event_jacket.html. Craig and Becky are great people.

If you decide to purchase the jacket, consider sizing up a size from your usual if you consider using it over a high loft insulation layer.

Anonymous

My previous reply was intended to address your specific question of Squall vs. Virga. Since then, others have replied mentioning the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo ‘e’, that is the ’05 enhanced version. I would agree with this choice over either of the Henry Shire TarpTents. It’s design is somewhat loosely based on the Dancing Light Gear Brawny TarpTent which was proven trail worthy on an AT thru-hike by the designer of the ‘Brawny’. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that the SMD Lunar Solo ‘e’ is the one to go with.

Anonymous

Wow – thanks to all who have posted so far, I’m most grateful. I haven’t got time right now to digest but will post again I’m sure tomorrow.

Thanks again guys – fantastic!

Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

Why are you anonymous? You’re using this feature in contravention of it’s intended useage.

Anonymous

I think alot of people simply like to remain private and don’t like their real name posted on the internet. I for one fall into that camp.

I would really appreciate if this website allowed aliases so that I could participate on the forums without using my real name and without using the Anonymous option. Maybe in an effort to prevent flaming, etc., this feature would only be availabled to BPL members.

Anonymous

I’m the same way… I don’t like the trend of companies collecting everything and anything about everyone. Right now the website is probably keeping my IP address anyhow, could probably scrape my Google cookie, and figure out other ways to track me way beyond my comfort level.

If there was a way to keep postings with alias’, I would use it. This is the same reason I’ve never reviewed anything for backpackgeartest.org even though I’d like to share my thoughts on some of my gear.

-G$

Anonymous

I didn’t find anything in the policy forum about having to reveal your own IRL identitiy. I appologise if it offends you, however I retain my right to privacy and I don’t feel the forum suffers as a result. I would welcome the ability to post under a constant alias, as is the case on the many other outdoor and nature related forums I participate in.

Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

Im in Europe now for the summer and would like more info on the trails etc.Could you also post a gear list.If possible can you send me an e-mail so i can ask more questions on the hikes yourve done in Europe,Thanks,Nick

Roland
    BPL Member

@robson

sent me an email I posted the adress already in this thread, and just ask. If I can be of help..no problem at all
    roland

Anonymous

You can use an alias, all you have to do is create one. But why would you want to? Were just talking tarps, not testicular problems or anything overly personal.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

overly personal? Just little things like ,let’s see, politics, philosophy,diatribes against manufacturers
    that at times take on very personal qualities. And raises the temp. level of the board beyond some individual’s comfort level.

There does not seem to be an easy way to create
    an alias on this site short of creating a new account
    — if there is a way,please share.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools