Topic

July 3-8th: 80-90 mile, partial cross country Sierran trip. EPIC!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips July 3-8th: 80-90 mile, partial cross country Sierran trip. EPIC!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Hello friends!

Would you like to join me for a hard, adventurous trip into the heart of the High Sierra?

The destination has yet to be determined. We're likely to start from an east side trailhead (Taboose? Baxter?) and aim for a series of cross country passes and basins well above 11,000ft.

asdf

Carpooling would be great. I'll be leaving Sacramento around 5pm on the 3rd and will drive to the trailhead that night. Hiking starts the morning of the 4th. Sunday we will hike a maximum of 12 miles and I'll be driving home that day.

This trip leans heavily towards hiking rather than lounging around.

Mileage and vision are open to alterations. I'm open for peak bagging too.

Trip is limited to five people. Strong preference is given to some of the cool people that I met at GGG.

Send me a PM!

EDIT: The trip is full!

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

That sounds like a great trip and a great way to utilize the holiday, but unfortunately for me I will be on the east coast that week.

I'm already looking forward to the trip report.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Heck Yes!

I'm 99% in. Need to put in for time off work and such, which I'll do this week.

I'm training right now for a mid-June half-marathon specifically so I have the legs for a trip like this.

Any ideas about destination yet? I'm up for anything!

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

That sounds fun. Wish I could join.

-Frank

Jack H.

@found

James. Sick!

I have ideas, but want to have a discussion to see what people are interested in first. I'll be in touch!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

The timing is perfect, the length is perfect, the destination sounds great. I was trying to plan a solo trip of a similar nature…same time, same place, similar mileage, mixed XC, the whole bag.
    This sounds really good man, let's talk.
    Sending you a PM.

Jack H.

@found

Looking good gentlemen.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I would love to commit to doing this, I will need another crusade to work toward. But my future is locationally challenged right now. Could be that it would be super simple or increasingly tough to get to CA this summer. As things clear up I will give you a shout. Would love to do a trip with you and the High Sierra would be the perfect location.

Dave T

@davet

I've always wanted to go in over Taboose. I drive by it every few weeks, and it's always way up there beckoning! If it's a small group looking to stay up high above timberline, I could definitely be interested.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Good idea, PM sent.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Adan and I would be coming from the same area (LA). I'd be up for helping anyone get from LA to the trailhead…Could possibly get Greg or anyone else from LAX or another airport depending on schedules.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

It looks like you already have 5, but if not, I'd like to go. If so, maybe Dave T and I could carpool? CV available upon request.

Jack H.

@found

Nothing is firm. Throw your name in the hat by PMing me. Looks like a great group is forming.

I'm pouring over maps. Should be fun.

Jack H.

@found

Send me your emails gentlemen. I've got something to send back at ya.

Anyone else interested?

Jack H.

@found

I made a reservation for Lamarck Col from July 4th-8th. Hope for blue skies!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Lamarck Col"

Are you guys going over the pass on the first day?

–B.G.–

Jack H.

@found

That's my desire.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Then I recommend that each hiker strip every unnecessary ounce out of the pack load. That uphill hike can be a butt-kicker, especially if you aren't used to the altitude. Part of the problem is that once you get through the pass, you have to go all the way down to Darwin Canyon to camp. Or, Darwin Bench, which is nicer.

I've gone over the pass in that direction only once, and I've gone over it the other direction twice.

You want to hit the season for wildflowers right, maybe around Lamarck Lakes.

–B.G.–

Jack H.

@found

Thanks Bob. Solid advice.

Want to see something remarkable? Check out Bob Burd's solo day hike of Lamarck Col, Scylla, Mt. Hansen, Mt. Solomon and Haeckel Col. That's stout!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Want to see something remarkable?"

It even hurts to read that.

–B.G.–

Jack H.

@found

I've secured permits leaving North Lake on July 4th. Packs on at 8am! Hopefully..

I'm going to try to be somewhat acclimatized because we're heading up and over the crest that day. What's the deal with the North Lake campground? First come, first served? Should we reserve a site at Four Jefferys?

James, Dave, Adan, Craig and Casey, you all are invited. That makes six of us. To everyone else that was interested: sorry!

It'd be best if we don't have to pick up our permit on the morning of the 4th. Does the White Mountain Ranger Station have an after hours permit box? James, Adan and Craig, your names are also on the permit. Will any of you arrive early enough on the 3rd to pick it up?

Carpooling… I'd LOVE to ride with someone and I'm happy to meet part way. James? Want to meet in Manteca on Tuesday night? Anyone else?

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Jack,

The North Lake Campgrounds are first come, first serve and would be a great option. I don't know about the Four Jeffrys campground, other than what I saw on the web.

However, since you planned the trip to start with a full moon, we could start the hike late Tuesday night and camp here:

asdf
    The plateau at the top of the use trail on the way to Lamarck Col.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I'll be driving out with Craig, we havent yet discussed the details but we'll shoot for taking care of the permit. The only issue would be if work/family issues prevented us from leaving that early.

Jack H.

@found

I didn't know it was going to be a full moon! I suspect that I'll just want to crash at the trailhead after the long drive.. Do you want to carpool Casey?

Adan, it'd be great if you guys could pick up the permit! How far is the drive for you?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Lone Pine is about 3.5 hours, Bishop is a little less than 5 from my house. Where would the permit be picked up?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools