Topic

Titanium pots and mildew?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Titanium pots and mildew?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben F

@tekhna

So I came across this review on REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/807754/snow-peak-titanium-mug-with-hotlips

The one drawback is the surface texture if the titanium. If water is left in the cup for an extended period of time a smell of sour mildew develops. It seems apparent that the matte finish is a perfect surface for bacteria to take hold. The cup must be washed and dried immediately after use to avoid the build up of organic matter causing the smell. It's a bit of a hassle when out in the wilds to always maintain a spotless mug. It's also a bit expensive considering how ordinary it is. Titanium isn't the best material for cooking which limits this thing to boiling water. No lid.

I had never heard of this problem, and frankly it doesn't really strike me as much of a problem, but I was curious if other people have encountered this problem, or if anyone knows enough about titanium to support or deny the assertion that titanium is particularly prone to bacteria buildup.

steven franchuk

@surf

In order for bacteria to grow it needs food and water. Titaniun is not food. However if you don't clean it well and it stays wet mildew will grow.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've had an old surplus aluminum canteen pick up some musty smells, but never with an open pot, regardless of the material. I've used stainless steel, aluminum and titanium over the years. Just sounds like poor housekeeping to me.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I use this Ti cup to drink out of 3 or 4 times a day and food can get into and under lip where rolls under. It takes a small brush to get it clean and is an area that may get missed using the cup on a backpacking trip.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools