Topic

New 3 Season List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists New 3 Season List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

This is my new 3 season gear list. This past summer I used my CT thru-hike as a "shake down" and this is what I have come out with. I still have some money in my gear budget, so any advice is welcome. Also this is a true "shoulder season" list, meaning I need this system to go down to around 20 degrees. There are a couple of things that I have been considering to cut down on weight.

First I would like to ditch the Virga, and find a good hooded windshirt that is pretty water resistant. Suggestions?

I would also like to buy the MB Dynamo wind pants. Owners, what do you think of these?

Besides that I am considering getting a Trailstar to carry when I know no threat of bugs.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6043

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Here are my observations:

You have a lot of extra clothing and might be able to thin that out some. I agree with having an extra top and bottom, but it appears that you have 2 extra shirts, as well as 2 bottoms, tights and shorts, in addition to your normal hiking clothes. I would probably cut it down and just keep the tights and cap 3 top.

I am not familiar with the Etowah Rocket Stove set up, but I always suggest a Caldera Cone. It would be about the same weight as your stove but include the weight of the fuel bottle and windscreen. It would also likely be more efficient.

Do you really need the pot and mug?

You could probably lose the clothing stuff sack. I mean you have the trash compactor bag for weatherproofness.

1oz seems like a lot of gorilla glue. What are you using it for anyways?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

+1 on the Trailstar. I picked one up on Gear Swap and it's a cool shelter. Of course, the whole "practice 1st to get a taut pitch" thing applies here.

Patagonia's Houdini and Montane's Litespeed are my favorite hooded windshirts. There's a recent (this week) thread where the two are discussed in detail, and why some prefer one over the other.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I like to carry a real whistle because the one on my pack isn't very loud, and it's very small and light.

I also like to have two sources of ignition (Bic and firesteel) and dry tinder for emergency firestarting. I also carry a fixed blade knife capable of turning wet wood into burnable wood in the wettest of conditions.

I consider stakes a luxury item and rarely carry them, using sticks, rocks, or logs instead. All of these work better for me than stakes too, and the tips don't pop off like the Eastons. ;)

A tiny one-use tube of SuperGlue might be a little more useful and lighter.

I'd want a little more repair stuff like duct tape, tyvek tape, needle, thread.

Sunscreen?
    Hand sanitizer or soap?
    I didn't see rain pants–might be important in the spring and fall.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

The :golite top" is just a t-shirt, sorry i should have specified. I'm not sure if it got double printed but I only have 1 of everthing really, 1 pair of short, 1 tights, 1 t shirt, and 1 thermal. Also ive really been looking in to switching to the Caldera cone system. The ettowah system is really cool, super efficient, but its hard for me to think that it would be more efficient than the caldera system.

Also, how breathable would you say the houdini is? thats really my biggest concern, and would it fit over my u.l. parka?

Lastly, the trailstar is in fact much lighter than what i am carrying right now, but is it still an overkill for a 1 person shelter? Not that I dont mind having tons of room, I just dont want to carry more than i have too.

The gorilla glue is in way to big of a container, ive been looking for a smaller one. This pretty much suffices for my tape, first aid, and all the other things you can use super glue for. I have been carrying super glue for years and i surprisingly fin myself using it all the time. glue bad cuts together, pack tears, shoe problems, etc.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I think your list is pretty good! If you really want to drop more weight I would drop the mug and just use the 900ml pot. I would also eliminate both clothing and sleeping drysacks in favor of just the trash compactor bag. Shove your sleeping bag and "must" keep dry clothes down in the bottom of the trash compactor bag, twist it closed and tuck it tight in the pack. I also would drop the Cap 3 shirt–you have your rain/windshirt, your down jacket, and even your sleeping bag if it gets really cold. Or keep the Cap 3 and eliminate the down jacket and use your sleeping bag for really cold evenings. I don't see the need for another layer. And as already mentioned if the ounces really count–a lighter shelter. A good sized tarp, polycryo ground cloth, and a bit of bug netting can weigh under 16 ounces.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Regarding the Trailstar for one person: that's a YMMV thing, to be sure.

I like the extra space it provides, and the weight doesn't bother me. Now if I was shooting for SUL, a more minimal shelter would be on my list.

The Houdini is fairly breathable, and the full zip certainly helps when needed.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Thanks Jason, I was kind of wondering if i was carrying a bit too much insulation. I think i will stick with my contrail for now until i think i can afford a trailstar.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

I picked up the single use tubes of gorilla glue at Officemax.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools