Topic

OR section hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists OR section hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David (Bleach)
    BPL Member

@davidbleach

First time, long time… Here's what I'm planning to take on both an upcoming 7-8 day trip to Sisters and an OR PCT section hike.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6706

Notes:
    The gps will most likely stay home for the OR hike, but it is going to Sisters, so it's on the list for now.

Things on the list I have yet to buy (easier to change these plans):
    tent/ground cloth
    backpack

Things I've done since finding this fine forum (tyvm for the indirect help :) )
    Dumped a ton of spare clothes
    Full length NeoAir –> short one+foam pad
    Canister stove –> Esbit
    Shelved my SMD tent
    MYOG cuben stuff sacks

Things I won't do:
    Aquamira (I don't want this to turn into a holy war over water treatment, but I'm sticking with my steripen. Call it a luxury item ;) )

Thanks in advance!
    DaveT

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

David,

What time of the year are you planning t hike this section? That determines greatly what you'll need. I'll assume you'll be on the trail in August.

I went through Oregon on the PCT last year so I have a good idea what you'll see. Your list is great in my opinion. You put a lot of thought into your gear. In August you'll have enough to keep you warm and dry.

I was going to tell you to leave the GPS at home, but I see you'll be leaving the PCT trail and hiking around the Sisters. I still don't know if you'll really need it.

For the PCT I'd print out the 1/2 mile maps. Nothing better!

You'll be to hot wearing a Patagonia Cap 2 while hiking. I wore a long sleeve breathable shirt with mesh along the inner arms and side. It's called the Railrider Eco-Mesh….loved it. Keeps the sun off and I was never hot or uncomfortable. I bought 2 more.

You may want to take a sun hat and maybe ear band if it gets cold.

I bought one of those rainkilts. I left it at home and brought my 8 oz OR Goretex Paclite rainpants. I just couldn't see the skirt working for me. You know I never needed the rainpants, but it was nice to have them just in case.

john

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools