Topic

Cuben warp break vs ripstop tongue tear (iso 13937-4)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben warp break vs ripstop tongue tear (iso 13937-4)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Locale: Steiermark

I have been comparing the relative strengths of cuben and ripstop. I notice Kerlon 1800 has an 18 Kg tear strength, but this is to iso 13937-4 test standard, which is a tear test. How does CT2K.08 compare to this? It has a warp break of 37 Kg, which sounds more like a tensile strength measurement. What weight of cuben should I buy if I want a tear strength comparable to Kerlon 1800 (triple coated 60g ripstop)?
    Matt

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

cuben 1 vs sil failure 42 lbs.jpg

30dsil vs CN1k.08, both fabrics and thread failed together, so it would appear they are
    comparable for this use.

so CN2k.08 should be close to 60d if silicone coated.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

not sure if this helps but these tests were done with ct2k.08

http://www.suluk46.com/documents/Suluk%2046%20-%20A1%20-%20Testing%20Cuben%20Tieouts.pdf

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Locale: Steiermark

Thanks Jason,
    I have already had a good look at Steve's website, the article is very helpful. I had a look at Cubic Tech's website, and they say that the high bias cuben is an order of magnitude stronger than an equivalent weight of ripstop nylon. This still leaves some questions however:
    1, How strong would the normal 0/90° cuben be in a tear test?
    2, What kind of ripstop do Cubic tech use for the comparison? Because as we know, silicone elastomers strengthen the fabric, as well as making it waterproof; as in the case of the much vaunted Kerlon 1800.

I am assuming here that 0°/90° cuben has dyneema fibres in two directions, whilst 0°/90°/+45°/-45° cuben has dyneema fibres running in four directions. I have not yet worked with cuben (although I intend to), so I could not really say if there is any merit to the high bias cuben, as opposed to the normal cuben. On the face of it, it would seem that the 27g high bias cuben would be about the right weight to choose, if you wanted something stronger yet lighter than Kerlon 1800. I would happily do some tear tests myself, if I had access to the cuben.
    Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools