Topic

Adding outside mesh pocket to Jam

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding outside mesh pocket to Jam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I have the GoLite Jam backpack from 2011 and would like to add an outside mesh pocket. This would be my first attempt at a MYOG project and looking for some input on source for the mesh and method of attachment.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Randy, are you looking to remove the current fabric pocket on the Jam, and replacing it with mesh? It's kind of a big project, but very feasible if you have a couple days of free time on your hands. In terms of method of attachment, I don't really see anyway around taking the pack apart at the seams, and resewing with the mesh pocket in place. Hence, the need for a couple days of free time.

I use this stuff…durable, and pretty much the same stuff used by major manufacturers.
    From Quest Outfitters:
    #1209C LYCRA MICRO MESH , (Black)

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I have no advice on how to do this project, but I did come across these detachable mesh pockets the other day:

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/mountaingoatgear/detachable-mesh-pockets-for-backpacks/

Maybe you could try something similar?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Thanks for the input guys. John your link is very much along the lines of what I am looking for. While not MYOG, I may just go that route since it's a reasonable price and exactly what I want.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Randy,

Have you ever used mesh pockets?

Pros:
    Can see you gear in the pockets.
    Can drain wet stuff like a shelter.
    Lighter.

Cons:
    Stretches over time (my experience).
    Catches and tears on objects.

I will never go back mesh pockets, and I am sure some folks think they are the cat's meow.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

If you make it a removable mesh pocket, it will be much much easier to do. Not nearly as much seam ripping either.

Edit:
    I agree with Nick above. If i have something that is wet, I just lash it to the outside.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Interesting points I hadn't considered. My though was for drying/airing things out. I think the idea of a removable mesh pocket or bag would work as well without the commitment of altering my Jam. Sounds like that may be the better way to go.

xxx xxx

@aralanes

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Lashing things on the Jam is pretty easy since the compression straps on the Jam can wrap entirely around the pack (the buckles are opposites on each side).

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

I knew I've seen this somewhere…

http://www.bearpawwd.com/custom/custom_images/cgolite_1.jpg

For what it's worth if you don't care to have someone else do it, John does amazing quality and incredible turn-a-round times.

Good Luck on the project!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

So I had Katharina Pierini make me a custom mesh pocket for my Jam using some No-see-um mesh. Below are pictures. My next step is likely to completely remove the outside pocket on the Jam. The swap out of the mesh pocket for the existing pocket should eliminate at least 2-3 ounces (including the zipper) and provide a much more functional pocket that is easier to retrieve things and provide a means to dry out wet socks etc…

Overall View

JamMesh1

Next two pictures show closeups of the attachment with shock cord to existing buckle loops on the Jam

JamMesh2

JamMesh3

View from above. Shock cord is threaded through the mesh at the top to allow it to open easily with plenty of room.

JamMesh4

Rob Jones
    Spectator

@robj

Locale: Washington, D.C.

This is exactly what I was looking into as well and I just found Outdoor Trail Gear.. Is Katharina from OTG? Or a different business? I am looking for a new pack and want the exterior mesh pocket. I also want a pack with a mesh/no-sweat backpad, so thinking the Jam or SMD Starlite.

Helen Gauperaa

@helenjfisher

Hi, I just wanted to correct Hendrik above in that the mesh pocket I made isn't fixed but just used a combination of elastic cord and LineLoc Line Adjusters at present. The curve of the mesh does make it naturally hug to the contours of the pack which helps to keep it in place.
    http://helenswonderings.blogspot.com/2011/08/myog-front-mesh-ppocket.html
    It was a satisfying little project and was really useful in keeping my wet SL1 in when I hiked in Norway last summer.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"This is exactly what I was looking into as well and I just found Outdoor Trail Gear.. Is Katharina from OTG? Or a different business? I am looking for a new pack and want the exterior mesh pocket. I also want a pack with a mesh/no-sweat backpad, so thinking the Jam or SMD Starlite."

Yes, Katharina is at OutdootTrailGear.

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

Randy, did you remove the outside pocket yet or are you going to leave it? If you removed it did you trim it out? How much was the weight?
    Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools