Topic

Any suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Any suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhiW1h9PyhELdEMyWGVETjFrYXJ4YzNSWXBZTTBXMWc

Any suggestions? This is for a 2 night trip this month (March 2012) in either North Georgia or Middle Georgia. The low temperature will either be 30 or 40 probably depending on if I go North/higher elevations or stay around the middle.

Curious if anyone has any suggestions for ways to improve.

Thanks

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I know for a fact, that you can make that Pinnacle lighter. I did.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

I have been contemplating that but haven't had the courage to go at it with the scissors.

What all did you do and what is the weight?

I am getting REALLY close to cutting off the extra strap lengths, the ice axe loops, and the water bladder pocket. The thing I am really hesitant to do is to take out the foam back plate.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Looks pretty good to me. If it were my list, I'd be deleting:

long sleeve t-shirt
    long johns
    balaclava
    pump pillow (I just blow up my Exped Synmat UL7 with my lungs, but I understand your caution.)

ideas:
    use ziploc for trash because a grocery bag could get messy
    I like to carry a real plastic whistle because the one on my pack isn't very loud.
    Carry Micropur tabs as a backup in case of technology failure if the water is a bit questionable in the area

I'd want something to keep my feet dry (GoreTex socks), or at least warm (neoprene socks) at the lower range of these temps, but that may not be an issue if day temps are much warmer. I'd probably choose wool socks over synthetic at least.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Andy thank you for the suggestions.

The balaclava I am not sure about either. I got it on sale at Wal-Mart for $1.99 and it was so light I thought I might try it out, see if it has a place since so many people seem to have them.

The pillow pump…yeah probably something I could let go if. It is comfortable though for use as a pillow and the blow up part is nice. A luxury that could be done without.

Ziplock for trash is a good idea.

Real whistle, never thought about that, better try mine out and see how loud it gets.

I have some aquamira, maybe need to re-package and bring to try and backup.

I have some SealSkin socks. 30-40 would be middle of night low, highs should be 50-65 but not a bad idea.

I thought about swapping medium weight wool socks for the synthetic for during the day. Maybe should do it.

Thanks!

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I would use a CCM mat (z-lite) or torso neoair instead of the synmat, I only use a down jacket if I am in snow, you should get away with a sub pound synthetic layer, check the weather before you go out, if no rain, then get rid of the driducks set, balaclava may be overkill, ditty sack looks too heavy, stuff a silsack for pillow and nix the pillow, duct tape and leuko tape looks too heavy. That's what I would do.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Thank you for the suggestions. I added some notes, you are right need to reduce the tape for sure I have a lot of it that and think I may leave the pad repair kit at home for shorter trips, use the leukotape if needed to get by I will test to see if it sticks.

No rain gear huh? Yowzer! I don't know about that. I would consider leaving the rain pants or swaping out the jacket/pants for the 2.8oz DriDucks poncho or even a 1-2 oz plastic emergency poncho. For colder weather though I was kind of considering the DriDucks as another layer for the cold, block the wind a little.

My down jacket is heavy at 21 oz. It is from Sam's Club, Nautica brand and cost $29.99 I have not invested in a 'real' down jacket. The material is thin and it packs small, has more than an inch of loft, probably 1.5" so feels warm.

No love for my pillow from anybody! :)

I think as far as sleep and warmth comfort I may be packing my fears but need to get a little more confident before I drop some of the bigger items. I am new to the backpacking scene, brand new to cold weather backpacking.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

If not taking gear makes you uneasy, just take it. Both enjoyment and safety are more important than pack weight. Doing some backyard testing might help with determining what gear to bring, but I know how that can be difficult to get the right testing weather before a trip.

I have a similar inexpensive, heavy down jacket which I just took with me on a trip to the UP of Michigan in 4 ft of snow and lows of 10F. You should be good at 30F. :)

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

On a two night trip, your pack looks great! Make sure to take notes as to what worked and what you didn't need. One of the fun things of camping in general is to figure out how to make the next time more enjoyable whether it be bringing more or less things. Good job on the gear list.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

"I have a similar inexpensive, heavy down jacket which I just took with me on a trip to the UP of Michigan in 4 ft of snow and lows of 10F. You should be good at 30F. :)"

Yow! Well maybe I can leave the fleece pullover then and just bring the down jacket.

I might just bring it all though, even wear the wind breaker jacket I have that is not on the list, pack the fleece, and play with all of this while I am out there, figure out what when where why and how of it myself. It will mean an extra 2 lbs on this trip but likely will help me learn and zero in for future trips.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I will be in the Smokies at about the same time. Definitely keep the driducks in my book. You and I both know we're going to get rained on at some point in the trip; it's March in the SE.
    Fleece and down jackets seem redundant as do the balaclava and fleece beanie. That is a heavy down jacket.
    Shoes are heavy, but if you like them…
    Ditch the pump; yikes, that's heavy!
    Add: pack liner, esbit stove/holder and pot stand.
    Hope you have a great time.

Sean Heenan

@roadster1

Locale: Southeast mountains

I see nothing wrong with what you are taking. Some adjustments may be necessary if you decide to go north and gain elevation, as I am sure you are aware in the mountains in March it could be snowing at higher elevations and the wind could be much worse. I use a fleece with wind /rain jacket and take along my down vest to give some insurance, it works pretty well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools