Topic

Ventana Double Cone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ventana Double Cone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

What kind of temps could I expect in the cold parts of winter? Later in spring? It's almost 5000 ft up. I really want to hike it some day, maybe in winter.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Maybe some snow, cold rain for sure, I'd guess 25, 30 degrees. It's right by the coast so it's not going to get that cold, even being up that high. If a good pacific storm from the north hits, you can get some really good weather, storms, wind.

With that said, I broke down and finally stopped using cottons/wools when backpacking up there on a winter trip where I almost got hypothermia up there, not quite but it was close.

I used to head out there during winter when storms were approaching, I did get a 20 degree synthetic bag to handle the humidity/cold, and was never even remotely cold using that. But that was a real 20 degree bag, not the current practice of calling 30 degree bags 20 degree which some bag makers sadly have started doing.

Aiming to get back there in a few weeks health permitting, wish the weather wasn't so nice, but can't have everything I guess.

Your instinct is spot on however, winter is the best season there in my opinion. The colder the better, then nobody is there at all, especially up in the higher areas.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools