Topic

AllTrails.com Pro?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) AllTrails.com Pro?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Has anyone used AllTrails.com Pro? For $50, you supposedly get an online version of Topo! that works nationwide (as opposed to the regular version of Topo! that is $50/state). Looks promising, if not a wee bit steep for an online annual subscription.

Dan Rimar
    Spectator

@tarpon6

Locale: Florida

I got a email with a link that had a special price of 24.99 for a year. 30 day money back no questions asked. I signed up. I can't get the link to work, but I think if you first sign up for the free service and then upgrade to pro you may be offered the 24.99 special. You get access to all of the topo maps, satellite views, and terrain nationwide. You can also plan routes and it shows distance and elevation gain.

I was slightly disappointed that it didn't include more trails with pre planned routes and GPS coordinates. There are some obvious trails around my area that are missing. I am sure they will comninue to improve the service. There also free Android and Apple apps.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I think I'd be willing to do it now for that deal, but they haven't made that offer to me as of yet. Sounds like it's still a little rusty – I'll wait until they make me a deal like that you mentioned.

thanks!

Chris Alonso

@bigspooky

I too am curious if anyone has ponied up the $50 to see whats behind the curtain. It's not even clear to me if you get good topos – they say its "coming soon". By good topos I mean essentially 24k usgs quads, with treeline shading etc, and ability to stich from one quad to the next. The site in free mode seems just about worthless (so far).

I cant describe it entirely, but I get a strange vibe from the site. I think its because the constant drumbeat to upgrade to PRO, without ever really describing what it is you are getting. Maybe something to exude confidence like a 30 day trial?

Lastly as people looking at this might be looking for maps, hopefully you have the wonderful acme mapper bookmarked: http://mapper.acme.com/

barry littleton

@alaskangrizz

although there are aspects of the alltrails application that I enjoy, I would not recommend going pro when there are far better apps with proven success available for as much as $45 less than the asking price for pro. my choice was made easy by the lack of reviews or a trial period..combined with a ridiculous price tag…

I strongly recommend the Trimble Outdoor Navigator, Pro or Free version for $12. It is a fully developed application, made by a company with a stellar rep in the outdoor community. I rarely find myself wowed by an application or software, usually there are issues I find with menu flow, synchronization, options or support problems. With the Trimble app, I have found myself throughly wowed. I am fairly sure you will be as well. This is one app worth the price, which I also found more than equitable.

Also for your consideration, Backcountry Navigator Pro. For ~$5 this is a great choice for those wanting greater latitude and customization and don't mind/desire a ready made app.

Also check out Atlas Creator for your desktop computer. It allows you to integrate maps from various e-sources and create waypoints, points of interest, and routes. Following your trip you can add pictures, videos, notes and gps data to the map for a complete trip profile.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools