Topic

Tent footprint as tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Tent footprint as tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sean Heenan

@roadster1

Locale: Southeast mountains

Has anybody used a tent footprint as a tarp? Footprints seem to be cheaper than tarps of the same size? By the the way my first post.

brian lowe

@gonecrazy

Locale: pacific north west

i used one for a couple years as a tarp,it was for a Big Agnes Seedhouse sl2 i think and it work relatively good.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

My foot print is made of PolyCryo, I suppose I could make it bigger and use as an actual tarp when it was needed. I usually just push through the rain until its time to set up camp though. At that point I'm going to have to use it under my tent.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

You could definitely use them. My experience is that footprints are typically made from a heavier gauge material than most lightweight tarps so may be a bit heavy. Also most footprints are narrow since they need to be more narrow than the tent floor itself. That may make for an awkward dimension for tarping.

Sean Heenan

@roadster1

Thanks. Yeah it would seem that you would have to pick the right tent to get the right size footprint but I was looking at a Big Agnes Fairview 4 Footprint and it is 8 feet x 7ft 2inches and 14 ounces. Seems like a pretty good size but not having experience perhaps it is too big/small. Being cheap/thrifty at 27 dollars that seems like a really good deal if it can be used as a tarp.

brian lowe

@gonecrazy

Locale: pacific north west

another even cheaper/thrifty option would be a regular poly tarp. You would have to check my math but a 6×8 poly tarp would weigh about the same,those are about 4 oz a square yard i think. poly tarps are kinda noisy tho

and the size would depend if on the weather and if your going to use a bivy with it.

Sean Heenan

@roadster1

I have used poly as ground cloth but not as a tarp. Just kind of thought that since a tent footprint would have some type of attachment points that it would be easier to stake out, add guylines and add other attachment points than a poly sheet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools