Topic

60 Lakes Basin to Glen pass?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 60 Lakes Basin to Glen pass?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Andrew McManama

@andymac321

Locale: SoCal

I have been looking at some maps for a route from 60 lakes basin to Glen Pass without going back down to Rae lakes. It looks possible to get to the Glen Pass Trail around the Tarn dotted bench from there. Has anyone done this or heard of anyone doing it? Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Glen Pass to Sixty Lakes

Here you go. A couple of days ago I was planning this out for my own purposes. I dug the route out of old peak climbing reports from 5-10-15 years ago.

–B.G.–

Andrew McManama

@andymac321

Perfect, that's similar to the route I was looking at. Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Previously, I have always gone by the normal trail to Sixty Lakes. However, this shortcut seems like it would save a lot of time if you are trying to get over toward the peaks like Gardiner or Cotter.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no bear boxes in the Sixty Lakes Basin. They are all over at Rae Lakes. Also, I seem to remember that there is only one night of camping allowed in Sixty Lakes, but that is not too hard to deal with.

–B.G.–

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Thanks Bob, do you happen to have a map showing the off-trail route from Dollar Lake to 60 Lakes Basin? If so, could you post it?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

No, I do not have that one, but I know what you mean.

I have seen that one mapped, mostly going downhill, not uphill. So, if you study the topo, it should be apparent. It is a very broad gully.

Part of the problem is that there aren't many good trails through there, and there are lots of bushes (that the wildlife enjoy). So, you may just have to pick your way along.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Casey, the col between 60 Lakes Basin to Dollar Lake is pretty easy to distinguish. Route finding is quite easy

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I've been researching these routes for a Labor Day trip..

Both the cross country routes from Sixty Lakes basin to Glen Pass, and, the route from the basin to Rae Lakes basin are used pretty often, it seems.

The former is called Rae Col, the latter Basin Notch. Both are described in Secor as class 1 (so figure class 2 requiring some tricky route-finding). BTW, the latter route is above Arrowhead Lake.

Did you go on this trip yet, Andrew? Any report on how it went?

P.S. I see now that "Rae Col" is so labelled in Bob's map.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I went over Rae Col one year ago, but I was going in the direction of Glen Pass to 60 Lakes. And then, when coming out from 60 Lakes, I camped at the northernmost lake and went directly northeast to the JMT. I don't recall any tricky route-finding.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"P.S. I see now that "Rae Col" is so labelled in Bob's map."

Yes, and the label BHS stands for bighorn sheep.

Twice now I have found them on the normal trail into 60 Lakes.

–B.G.–

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Has anyone used or seen the pass at the South end of 60 Lakes basin?
    I indicated the "pass" in red in this photo.unknown pass

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I have not crossed that pass, which leads to Charlotte Lake. I went over Rae Col one year ago, and then I was closer to Mount Cotter. It seems to me that somebody here reported on a crossing of that pass maybe a year ago.

–B.G.–

Kiel Senninger
    BPL Member

@kiel-s

Locale: San Diego

I was planning a trip around there earlier this summer. Here's some trip reports I gleaned off the internet while researching. Don't know if it'll help much.

http://www.chayden.net/Sierra96/Sierra96.html

https://sites.google.com/site/bryanlallen/gardinerbasin2008pagethree

I believe your pass is to the left of center in this photo. I took it just west of Charlotte Lake.

pass

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Thanks Bob and Kiel!
    I couldn't find a post about this pass on the forum…
    Thank you for the photo Kiel, it worked well to discourage my wife :). I am more worried about the north side of the pass.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools