Topic

Rain gear for new mexico?!?!?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Rain gear for new mexico?!?!?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sean Breen

@scout22

Hey guys I have been doing some research lately on raingear for philmont, and haven't found much info, other than to have it….. My trek in going from july 28th to august 11th which is a rainy time to my knoweledge.

So for raingear should I be looking at silnylon type rain combo (pants and jacket) or a gortex or more breathable fabric? And for those who have been did you use your pants or were they not needed?

Thanks!
    -sean

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

For the most part, it will cloud up and rain an hour or two in the afternoon. No need to go all out for goretex or such, unless you just need an excuse to buy that. I've got a Sierra Designs Hurrican jacket that cost me like $25 on Steep and Cheap. Works fine. Dry Ducks would probably be more than adequate.

Joshua Gray
    BPL Member

@coastalhiker

I agree for the most part, but in August this can change…as this is Philmont "monsoon" season. For the most part it only rains for 1-2 hours each day, but occasionally it will rain continuously for 8 hours at a time ('05 was ridiculous). The nice thing is that with the low humidity everything dries quickly, but the rain is also really cold, so hypothermia is never out of the question.

Take home for you though: I would hedge my bets though and just go with dri ducks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools