Topic

Comparison Matrix – 20 Degree Down Bags/Quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Comparison Matrix – 20 Degree Down Bags/Quilts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Here's a little graphic from a spreadsheet I've been working on. If you are looking for a 20 degree down bag or quilt it may help you.

From looking around, I would say that in a regular size with regular taper and a true footbox, you should have 12-12.4oz down fill, a 2.25-2.5" baffle height and 2.75" single layer loft. I'm a cold sleeper, and haven't found anything less than 12.4oz fill will keep me warm in temps around 20 degrees when using a 1/4" thick full length closed cell pad. YMMV.

You can see the full size image here:
    http://i41.tinypic.com/ekpxn6.png

Jhaura
    SuperUltralightBackpacking.com

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Thanks for putting that together. Very timely as I'm in the market for one of these. Do you know how the GoLite UL 3 Season Quilt compares? Not much info that I can find on the website. The technical specs list the 20* rating, but that's it. I'm very tempted by the Katabatic (either Alsek or Palisade w/ 3 oz. Overfill), but at about half the price the GoLite seems like a better choice.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

"but at about half the price the GoLite seems like a better choice". Probably is from a price standpoint, however, as a customer I can tell you that the Katabatic quilts are true to their temperature rating. I would be skeptical of any bag that doesn't publish their fill weight. In addition, there are a number of other things you need to consider in the quilt design

1] The differential cut of the outer and inner lining mean that the Katabatic quilt will hold it's shape (naturally curve around your body).
    2] Clip system is ingenious and results in much less loss of heat by keeping the quilt on top of your pad not around it or off of it. It's really good for side sleepers and movers to ensure your quilt stays around you and not shifting off in the middle of the night.
    3] Pertex shell is very breathable. I experienced this first hand last September during a rainy hike. Went to bed damp, awoke fully dried out.
    4] Made in the USA.

I understand those features may not be worth the $180+ difference in price, though it's the fill weight that I really take a look at if you can get GoLite to give that to you.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Yeah, I think "choice" might have been the wrong term. Better "value" is probably more appropriate. That $180+ price difference is pretty hard to swallow, but I think I convinced myself to go for the better quilt over the better value.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have used my Golite 3 Season quilt down to 22F with a Synmat UL7 and mid weight baselayers (top and bottom). No socks. And was very toasty. The quilt was improved over previous iterations with a noticeable increase in down and hence loft. The waterproof footbox and strip at the top is a worthwhile addition.

The quality is excellent and it has proven to be extremely durable.

It is a bit heavier than some of the other options, but part of that is the girth @ 58". Many of the others that have been listed are substantially narrower.

For the price, it can't be beat, especially because it is also a top performer. The others are not 'better' quilts.

David Ure

@familyguy

" I would be skeptical of any bag that doesn't publish their fill weight. "

Fill weight as per my hang tag:

Golite 3 Season Quilt – Long: 13.5 oz of down.

The Regular has 12 oz.

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

Without knowing the respective down 'fill power' (FP) of each option, I don't see how you're really able to compare apples to apples in terms of loft & weight.

Here's some really fundamental math that makes the exercise pretty straightforward:

1. standard 80" x 50" quilt = 4,000 sq inches
    2. multiply by 2" loft (ie avg target for 30- degree quilt) to get 8,000 cubic inches. (Btw, 2" is also the baffle height.)
    3. divide by 900 FP yields 8.90z of down
    4. multiply by 1.35 (ie 35% overstuff) gets you 2.7" of loft (avg target for 20- degree quilt) and another 3.1oz of down, for a total of 12oz of 900 FP down.

So, for around 12oz of 900 FP down, you can get a quilt that has a loft in excess of 2.5" that should be good enough for temps to 20 degrees. If you use M50 (actually, .7 oz per sq yrd coated [9 sq ft] or .078 oz sq ft * 55.5 sq ft [8,000 sq in/144]), then your total fabric weight should be in the range of 4-5oz.

With 12oz of 900 FP down and 5oz of M50 and 1oz of nano-seeum, you can have yourself a nice quilt in the 20-30 degree range that weighs around 18oz. Problem is, about the only way to pull this off is MYOG, and there's only one real supplier who provides a turn-key package, but it's only $170.

Learn.To.Sew.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Hobbes, thank you for the detailed MYOG specs. Good stuff.

All the bags in this matrix are 875-900, except enlightened which is 850. That's as close to Apples to Apples any one needs for a ready made bag. No big diff there.

The specs you list are not avail commercially, and this is a commercial comparison for people not doing their own MYOG bag.

I've added the FP to my chart though for clarity. Thanks for that.

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

"this is a commercial comparison for people not doing their own MYOG bag"

I know, I know, I'm on my MYOG jihad. LOL. Seriously though, for about $5-10 in cheap materials and a $100 sewing machine, anyone can mow through enough practice seams in order to learn how to build an actual kit.

Besides the obvious $ savings, there is simply no way a commercial product can deliver the same performance/weight ratio. For one, even the cottage guys have to slightly overbuild so they don't have irate customers wrecking their well deserved reputations.

For two, they have to make a profit, so they have to find the best price for the most commonly available materials. That means, typically 20d and 800-850FP. There seems to be only guy who has both 10d (M50) & 900FP, and he won't discount that much to the cottage guys.

So throw their labor on top of semi-fixed material costs, and you can see where the price curve either ramps up or they shift to slightly less exotic materials. That's why MYOG is truly the golden ticket if you want the shiznick.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I know, I know, I'm on my MYOG jihad."

Aside from the personal satisfaction factor, have you included your time to learn how to sew, time to locate and obtain the materials, and time to construct it? How much money is your time worth? And could you use the time making equipment for other endeavors such as planning your next trip and even hiking more often?

Just saying MYOG is not for everyone and for some folks the time can be more productive if placed somewhere else.

HYOH :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Get the Revelation X and lower that price to about $200.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

"Get the Revelation X and lower that price to about $200."

I've been considering that as well, but the "Please allow 4-6 weeks for us to sew your quilt" part is the main problem for me. I need it sooner so I can look at it and maybe use it once or twice over the next 4 to 6 weeks :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Yeah, wait times can be hard.

…coming from a guy who just got his Rev X in the mail two days ago! :)

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Chris,

Some cottage folks are willing to bump up orders. Might be worth a try with Tim.

My Revelation X is a well-made quilt. The shell material isn't as luxurious as some, but it's UL, well-made, and has a good feature set.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>My Revelation X is a well-made quilt. The shell material isn't as luxurious as some, but it's UL, well-made, and has a good feature set.

yup.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

FWIW, I asked about the specs on the GoLite Quilt and this was the reply:

The fill weight on the Ultra Light 3 season Long is 375g. Size in the included stuff sack is 12"X6". Shoulder Girth: 60" Hip Girth: 47" Foot Girth: 39." The loft based on a sample regular is approximately 3.5" (one side).

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Wow, so the golite has more fill than any in the matrix? That's crazy, they must have taken the criticism of their old quilt very seriously.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Re: Golite Quilt

If we could get specs + fill power rating for a size Regular, I'd could add it to the matrix. Can't call myself today…

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Not exactly apples to apples though since I asked about the Long version and the matrix lists the regular size.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

I just replied to their email to ask about the size Regular. I'll let you know what they say.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

This Comparison Matrix of 20F quilts has only made the Golite 3-season at $229 that much more appealing for potential quilt purchasers. For considerably less cost and a measly ~2-3oz. more you get a significant value and an equivalent amount of functionality as its costlier counterparts. Had Golite not incorporated the waterproof footbox and collar the weight would have been right in line with the other quilts, but personally I think the addition of the waterproof footbox and collar is a desirable feature at a minimum amount of additional weight.

No need to add an overfill to achieve the 20F rating, no custom charges accrued for wider shoulder dims, and no minor cottage shop price inflation.

Good job Golite.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

According to http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/golite_ultralite_3_season_down_quilt_backless_sleeping_bag.html, the regular size quilt has 335g of down. It says the long has 382g.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

The reply I got regarding the size Regular:

The fill weight on the Regular is 335g. The stuff size and girth measurements are all the same. The biggest difference is the finished length is 88” for the Long and 82” for the regular. Everything else looks pretty similar.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools