Topic

Stove recommendations please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stove recommendations please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robert Fomenko
    BPL Member

@bobfnbw

Locale: Corpus Christi Texas

Have had many stoves thoughout the years. Svea123, msr, propane grasshopper, Coleman pk 1, butane, propane, self built alcohol, etc. I have a MSR wisperlight now, and a coleman propane job, plus the coleman pk 1 laying around somewhere…..

I am going into light weight backpacking in a big way now as I can no longer carry the 50-60 lb packs without killing myself. Since the kids are old enough to carry their own stuff for the most part, I can do this…..

Which brings me to stoves. I need to be able to boil water of course, but my son likes scrambled eggs, and pancakes. We might want to fry some fresh caught fish. Sometimes I like to bring some steak for the first nights meal…. things like that. If it was just me, I would forgo that.

I need a stove that can do this all and not weight a ton, or even several pounds. Since my last MSR wisperlight almost exploded when a seal went bad, I will pass on pressurized white gas and save that for winter camping. Canister stoves seem the best to me. The jet boil system looks good.

I was thinking about the jetboil sumo with the fry pan attachment as a place to start. I have read a fair amount of reviews on this and seem pretty willing to make the plunge, but before I did, I thought I would ask here.

What would you use?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Will be using this in July in New Mexico on a week long trip with my 10 year old son….

Bob

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Jetboils are great for hot water but not the most controllable for real cooking. take a look at the stover reviews here on BPL or on Hikin' Jim's blog for some suggestions of stoves that are better for cooking.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I think that you will be happiest with a remote canister iso-butane stove. Stability for cooking, ability to invert the canister in colder weather. There are a few choices. I also will defer to Hikin Jim – http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com

My personal vote/favorite is the Primus Omni-fuel.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Bob,

I'm actually reviewing the JetBoil Sol (aluminum version) right now and will start work on the Sumo this coming weekend if you can hold off a week or so.

If you do get the JetBoil, I'd get the pot size appropriate for the type of trip you'll most often take. For example, if you do 70% solo and 30% with your son, I'd get either the Zip, Flash, or Sol. If those percentages are reversed, then I'd get the Sumo. On the type of trip you take the most, I'd use the JetBoil pot, but on the type of trip you take less frequently, I'd just take any old pot or pan and use the adapter that comes with the JetBoil.

JetBoil pots and pans are quite expensive, but with the adapter, you can use any pot, pan, or kettle you like. Here, I'm cooking an omelet on a JetBoil Sol burner — but I'm using an MSR Blacklite pan.

So, like I say, buy the efficient but expensive Jetboil specific pot for the type of trip you take the most and use a regular pot or pan for other trips.

Note however, that the JetBoil is not my favorite cooking stove. If you fiddle with it though, you can get some nice results. Here's an omelet I prepared on a JetBoil. It turned out great.

More to follow when I'm done with my review.

HJ

Robert Fomenko
    BPL Member

@bobfnbw

Locale: Corpus Christi Texas

Thanks for the info…. omelet looks great… i'm eating one now…
    didn't know you could use other pans on the jetboil system.
    I will await your reviews as I have some time before we go.

also, looking at the primus omnilite, i see it comes in a Ti version with a 12 oz weight…. looks nice. any experiences with this model ?

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I would look at the Caldera Ti Tri. I use a 1.9 l evernew pot, in which the lid is a fry pan. I cook eggs, bacon and fish, toast bagels, as well as baked things like pizza and bisquits, with the use of an Outback oven. It is comparable in weight to a JetBoil for a week long trip. Most of my meals are pasta, rice, or couscous.

I have bailed out canister stoves and gasoline stoves several times when they failed for various reasons. The Ti Tri never fails, and is quiet.Pizza on Caldera Ti Tri

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

using wood as fuel, frying fish

winter use of Caldera, with frozen skillet meal and eggs

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Thanks Bob. I'll have to try that sometime.
    Duane

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Heck yeah, the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone is nice. It's a bit of a trick getting used to cooking on wood if you're used to the convenience of gas, but once you get used to it, you can do a lot.

Scrambled eggs:

Omelet:

Eggs over easy:

Or just something simple like noodles with veggies:

That last one was cooked over an alcohol burner, which is a real strength of the Ti-Tri system: It works equally well on wood or non-wood (alcohol or ESBIT).

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

For a bit of an update, at least for canister stoves (my take of course), please see:

Canister Stove Recommendations

I've also included some recommendations on how to get good efficiency with canister stoves.

Lastly, I've included a bit about the Caldera Cone with remote canister stoves…

…an idea I'd like to explore even further in some future blog post.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools