Topic

m90 + 2.5 apex quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear m90 + 2.5 apex quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Well, i think I have decided on this combo. between ease of putting together and ease of getting the supplies it should be good for what i want. I'm 5'7 skinny side sleeper

my question is should i get 4 yards of the M90 MR and just fold it so i save sewing one seam. Or get 2yd MR and 2yd Taffeta for inside? not sure if the one non sewn seam would cause the apex to sag or slide.

i plan to half taper it like Jamie's down pattern but that can be done on the open end. maybe take a few suggestions from the Sin50 pattern too.

who makes the non-snag velcro he mentions?

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Folding to save sewing one seam wont do anything for you.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

well it would leave a seamless edge at the head end and save some sewing..

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

True, but you'd probably still want to anchor the apex on all four sides. While 3 sides will probably work, it may allow the shell to be pulled away from the insulation and eventually for the insulation to tear away completely (such as when stuffing/unstuffing if extra care isn't taken).

For the minimal weight/time savings it's probably better to sew the 4th side just to increase durability.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

OK, that makes sense. also means i can make the inside either taffeta or even M50..

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Sew 4 seams. You want a draw cord at the top and either a draw cord or footbox at the bottom. You won't save much by folding it for the 3rd seam but in my opinion you lose a lot

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

definitely a drawcord at the bottom with velcro too. i'm not sure about the top. i don't usually have things tight around my head/neck. i'd probably add a long sleeve layer rather than have it cinched up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools