Topic

Ursack Pack??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ursack Pack??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

Would it be possible to create a small pack out of an Ursack Bag without compromising the integrety to the Ursack? Seems that this would be a very smart piece of lightweight multi-use gear.

Nall Fnk

@nfink

Was thinking the same thing myself. It would be nice to have a truly bombproof pack for no added weight.
    The dimensions of the ursack are a little narrow for a pack, though. Sewing large pockets to the outside might work, but kind of defeats the purpose.

Patti Binder
    BPL Member

@quiltbinder

Locale: Southwestern Florida

I've only just seen pictures of the Ursacks, so I don't know if this would work, but maybe you could turn one inside out and sew shoulder strap/s and pocket/s to the inside seams and carry it inside out, then turn it right side out to use as a bear bag.

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

It's funny this should come up. Yesterday I was talking with one of the Sales people at warwick mills that weaves most of the Vectran in the US as well as other things like Specra and Kevlar.

What I found is most of what Ursack is using is blistic seconds. Also all three of the fabrics I just listed break down in UV quite quickly. Kevlar being the worst Spectra being the best.

I got interested in this becasue I was in a junkyard last weekend and cut off some opened airbags wich are made from Vectran. Using two I made a stuff sac from to use for weekend trips. I then thought maybe I could find some seconds to make a bigger bag. However after talking with Ed even the price of the seconds was a bit more then I wanted to spend. Also after talking with him more Vectran did seem to be what I wanted. Due to the loose weave, it may be bear proof but most likely would hold out small mice so it would need to be hung. Since I already use an air tight plastic bag I'm not sure it's worth the weght.

JFF

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Not only that but Kevlar is'nt easy to repair once abraded. Pretty soon you'd be carrying a pack that looked like fleece. It's abrasion resistance is'nt great, and it is heavier than most any of the other more UV resistant fabrics.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools