Topic

Refilling my Montbell Super Stretch Down Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Refilling my Montbell Super Stretch Down Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Victor Lin
    BPL Member

@babybunny

I've got an old Montbell Super Stretch #2 Down Bag using 800-fill power down rated at 25 degrees. I've been sleeping in it for 7 years, like 365 days a year. I've washed it a few times as well. The down is pretty shot, but the shell still works very well.

Help?

I'm in the US.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I'm actually rather surprised that the shell still works well. What do you mean by "the down is pretty shot"? All clumped up? Something else?

David Vo

@sygyzy

I am fascinated by this. If you don't mind, may I ask what are the circumstances that would have you sleeping in a sleeping bag every day?

Have you tried washing it using a special down cleaner like McNett?

http://www.mcnett-outdoor.com/Repair-Guide/Sleeping-Bags/221.aspx

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

How many times is "a few?"

Chances are a good cleaning job will bring it back to life. Send it off to Feathered Friends for a top-flight job.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The down could be damaged. In this case returning it for a refill, or doing it yourself, might be needed. A couple ounces of fresh 800Fill down will do it. Devide the down into equal portions for each baffle you have. Put in a handfull, use a "destitcher" or stitch puller at the zipper, and put in that amount and stitch it closed carefully…down proof stitched. Too many stitches will weaken the fabric shell. Too few will not be down proof. Basically, a messy job and you WILL be picking up down feathers for a month of Sundays.

I would recommend washing with a good down cleaner, first. Likely 2 washings followed by a couple rinse cycles between. INSURE that no detergent or residue have been left in the machine! Stronger detergents will ruin the down causing clumping and failure. Then dry it for a several hours with some tennis balls.

I recommend every 7 days to throw it in the dryer and fluff it. Every 30 days wash it (with about half the amount of down wash recomended,) followed by an extra wash cycle (no soap) as a rinse…sometimes two rinses. Dirt, body oils etc. will cause feathers to "stick" together. Soo, they may tear and rip, leading to clumping and tangeling into mats. Keep the bag clean for longest life.

Assuming the shell is good, down can withstand any heat the shell can. The highest heat without harming the shell (around 140-150F) is the best for drying.

You *should* wear long johns in it to prevent body oils from building up too badly.

My 2 cents…

NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

Send it in to a professional to have it cleaned, do it once and do it right IMO – and they are pretty cheap – http://www.allaboutdown.com/

FF only cleans their own products as a service, not other brands (unless they have changed policy recently)

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools