Topic

Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 Arrived!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 Arrived!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> I contacted GG to get an idea of the torso size of the Large Crown. From the top of the hip belt to where the shoulder straps attach to the main bag is 17.25". The Regular is 14". <<

David – Good info, thanks for posting that.

Looks like I'm going to be in between sizes. The measurement points on my Vapor Trail were approx. 18 inches (maybe the same as the Large Crown with measuring variances) and my son's Vapor Flash (reg) is approx 15 inches from the top of the belt to where the shoulder straps attach. My Vapor Trail is too large for me and my son's Flash is a bit to short, so I'm betting I will need around 16-16.5 inches between your two measurement points. The adjustable frame sheet of the Blaze AC60 is starting to sould like the winning feature for me depending on how well it sizes up and down. I'll still test the Crown before deciding but it's nice to be armed with some info before heading into the store (although I'll probably buy both and return the one that I like the least after putting my gear into them).

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

One of the members here questioned my estimate of the size of my Crown compared to the GoLite Pinnacle (I had thought that the Pinnacle was much larger, and the Crown was comparable to the Jam), so I stuffed both packs with two of the same winter sleeping bags (being careful to apply the same pressure when stuffing). To my surprise the Crown with extension collar held the same amount of volume, plus there was fabric to spare in the extension collar to allow the roll top closure to be folded over three times and cinched down the sides for the proper closure. This effectively makes my Pinnacle obsolete. What is wonderful about the Crown is that my original estimate of it being about the same size as a Jam was perfectly right… just roll down the roll top closure, cinch it, and you've got a much smaller volume pack that doesn't flop around and collapse. Very versatile for when carrying lots of extra food and for long term international travel. I really, really like this pack. And I don't say that very often. In fact, of the few times I've written about a pack here on BPL, this is the first time I've said something positive! (shelters are a different story)

I'll use the Pinnacle, with hip belts and shoulder straps lopped off, as a sack for my Arctic 1000 harness. And I may sell my unused Blaze, though I'm not sure yet. It's nice to get my gear closet down to a really simple, manageable level.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Any idea if REI will carry this pack? I have a gift card.

Michael, I called REI HQ last week and they told me they had a handful in the system, something like 3 medium and 2 large. They will ship it to you if you like. I told them to order more because it would be a popular pack, but I'm not sure if they were taking me seriously.

Michael Huffman
    BPL Member

@air2mud82

Locale: Germany/Montana

Calling now, thanks!

Edit:

Made contact with 'em. As of the posting of this message, their normal customer order system didn't even show the pack, but when he did some further research he found that the (seperate) system that takes orders shows they have 4. Mine should be shipping from the Maryland warehouse, with the other warehouse being in Washington –each showed as having two packs.

He could tell me the torso size, but it did not show waistbelt sizes. I'm guessing/hoping that a regular torso brings with it a medium (30-34") waistbelt.

So, they should have three in stock now!

Emil Gazda

@emilio

Locale: Southeast

Granite gear site states that all crowns are shipping with medium hipbelts until further notice.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Glad you were able to snag one, Michael. I'm still trying to decide. My ten-year-old Vapor Trail looks like hell but still carries great.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I'll say this…I just tried on a Crown 60 at REI and I'm kind of thinking about selling my Pinnacle. There is something about this pack.

David Ure

@familyguy

@ Paul.

$29.99 and not a penny less.

Bump.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Dave,

I will go with $29.99. So $29.99 for the Pinnacle. Now shipping to Canada costs a little more than to somewhere here in Amurica. And you have to consider that this pack can be considered a "hazardous" material. How? We you will probably like it so much that you are going to quit your job and go do some Skurka like epic for the next 6 months and that could cause some problems at home. So….shipping to Canada, $35.00. Then you add the "hazardous" charge of another $35.00.

So yes, $29.99 for the pack plus $70 shipping. I'll message you my paypal info. =)

David Ure

@familyguy

Bump da Bump

I like your offer. Any chance you can include Travis' HMG Tarp. If so, I am in.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Family Guy wrote:

>> I contacted GG to get an idea of the torso size of the Large Crown. From the top of the hip belt to where the shoulder straps attach to the main bag is 17.25". The Regular is 14" <<

I finally got my hands on the Crown VC 60 and really liked what I saw however, it's a no go for me because neither size will fit me.

The measurements above are different than what I measured on the Crown VC60. From the top of the shoulder strap attachment to the top of the belt measured 15" for the regular Torso (same as my son's Vapor Flash) and the large measures almost 19 inches which is even bigger than my Large size Vapor Trail! The Large is way to tall for me and the Regular Torso was close but I ran out of shoulder strap adjustment length which is too bad. I guess GG has shortened the shoulder strap belt length as much as possible to save weight but that was a mistake in my mind as it doesn't allow me to ride the pack back a bit. The VC60 just can't work for me. Too bad because I really liked what I saw.

The Blace AC60 fits me perfectly when adjusted to 16 inches (using the same measurement points from strap attachment point to top of belt). It has one more inch of adjustment, so it could go as long as 17 inches but no where near as long as the Crown VC 60 in size large.

I haven't bought the Blaze yet because I noticed that the shoulder straps had "Trim Reg" written on them. The sales dude didn't know what that meant, so I headed home to do research. Appears you can get a wider "expedition" width shoulder strap as an option and this will improve the carrying comfort for heavy loads. The trim is the standard according to Granite Gear's info so I will go with that when I finally pick up the pack. I've never heard about the wider straps so it is all good info.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Mike – I almost ordered a large and am glad I didn't.

This is the e-mail response I received from Granite Gear:

"Hey David: Sorry you haven’t gotten a response from the Customer Service email. We had 2 snow days last week where we were closed for business. We’re now trying to play catch-up. I had sent an email earlier to our warehouse to get measurements and finally ended up grabbing the packs myself.

Regular Torso – from top of hipbelt to the base of the shoulder straps = 14”

Long Torso – from top of hipbelt to the base of the shoulder straps = 17 ¼”

Hope this helps make your decision easier. We do have plenty of stock in both sizes and we finally have different belts sizes. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again for choosing Granite Gear products. Dana"

Perhaps someone in the warehouse was a bit confused?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

David –

I could understand a half inch variance in measurements just because the "top of the waist belt" is not a precise line however I think the Granite Gear guy missed it by a long shot on the large. Since my measurements for the Regular are exactly the same as my son's Vapor Flash, I suspect I'm measuring fairly accurately.

I actually like your measuring system and wish we could get the pack manufacturers to adopt this measuring system. I have recently measured my MLD Burn (my favourite pack) and it's exactly 16 inches which seems to be my magic number. I measured my Exodus and it's 16.5 so no wonder these packs work so well for me. Now that I know that I need 16 inches between your measurement points I can tell almost instantly whether a pack will fit me or not.

The Large Crown VC60 me was just silly on me. The shoulder strap attachment point was actually higher than my shoulders! Granite gear pack straps are meant to wrap around your shoulders (and use the load levelers to pull it up tight) and it's what I've always liked about their packs. The size large was so big that tightening up the load levelers actually caused the shoulder strap to bunch up!

I probably could have used the regular size Crown VC60 except that I have fairly thick shoulders (which I'm sure you do too). This means the shoulder straps have to be a bit longer to make it all the way around our shoulders and unfortunately, they made the straps a bit short (trimmed down to save weight) and the straps don't make it around my shoulders before running out of length. This puts all the weight on my shoulders which is no good. Since you are a solid guy, you might want to think about this as well. I think the pack was designed for super slim thru-hikers.

The Blaze didn't have any of these issues. The adjustable torso length and the long straps allow it to fit me perfectly. Too bad, the Crown would have been perfect for me. I do prefer the large pocket on the Blaze. It's a lot larger than the pocket on the Crown and will meet my needs better anyway. Too bad about the extra 12 oz of weight.

David Ure

@familyguy

Mike – I like this measurement 'type' as well. My sweet spot is right at 17" so I was quite excited about the 17.25" measurement. Finally I might be able to wear a Granite Gear without an adjustable torso suspension. You have confirmed that this is not the case and I am not surprised. The large Vapor Trail was much too tall for me and the regular was too short.

Thanks for posting the 'corrected' measurments.

On a side note, I found that the adjustable torso 'slots' of the Ozone were a bit optimistic. I always wore it at the 20" mark (it went to 22" and as low as 18") but I am actually closer to a 19" torso measurement by normal measurement standards. Regardless, measuring from the top of the belt to where the shoulder harness attaches to the main bag is now my new standard means of measuring. This assumes that the shoulder straps are sufficiently apart where they attach to the main bag.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

>> This assumes that the shoulder straps are sufficiently apart where they attach to the main bag <<

Interesting you mentioned this. On the Blaze AC60, I noticed that the adjustments are all in a line (same width apart) except for the last set of adjustment holes. The last set of holes are set an inch or so farther appart than the rest of the adjustment notches. I assume this is to accommodate larger people and separates the straps a bit when you adjust to the largest torso length.

David Ure

@familyguy

Mike – do they rotate outward like on the Ozone? Those shoulder straps were attached with a bolt (I think you actually had one of these so I am stating the obvious to you) and would rotate out depending on the width of the users shoulders. I suspect they don't given the new torso adjustment system (?)

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

David, I've never owned the Ozone but the adjustments on the Blaze are just slots. The slots are spaced an inch apart with the last set of slots being farther apart than the rest.

I think the shoulder straps on the Blaze have quite a bit more length in the adjustable webbing and maybe even the padded part of the shoulder strap is longer on than the shoulder straps on the Crown. Maybe Miguel could chime in regarding a comparison of the shoulder strap length since he has both packs. The longer shoulder straps on the Blaze provide a bit of forgiveness in selecting a torso length IMO and is what is missing in the Crown.

I am also undecided as to whether I like the narrower webbing straps used on the shoulder straps on the Crown. Although I know that the shoulder straps don't really carry that much weight, they just seem too light to me somehow. I suspect this is just me resisting innovation. It does save weight and they are probably plenty strong with the narrower webbing. The Blaze has much more substantial straps and buckles but of course this all adds to the weight of the Blaze.

I'm just bummed out that I can't fit the Crown.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I'm just bummed out that I can't fit the Crown."

Indeed.

Somehow pack makers never consult us….

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

One thing I'm curious about is the weight carrying capacity of the crown vs the blaze. GG's website states that both packs are rated for 35 lbs, even though the Blaze's frame seems to be a bit stiffer. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

FWIW, I took a 5 day trip loaded up with about 28 lbs max and the Crown felt great.

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

I haven't seen anything about comparing the padding on the 2 packs. Could those that have tried both please comment on the padding (especially for shoulder straps and hipbelt)? I'm also interested in hipbelt stiffness.
    Thanks!

Emil Gazda

@emilio

Locale: Southeast

I just received my Crown yesterday. The hipbelt is adequately padded and once worn seems to retain the shape of your hips. I would be careful when choosing a hipbelt size. I am 32 waist and went with a Medium. I had to cinch it down almost completely. A small would have been better in my case. May have to switch it out if I drop 2 or 3 pounds.

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Thanks. Good to know about the hipbelt sizing, I'm 30".

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I tried this pack on and actually like the way it fits. I might actually look at it again tomorrow.

Richard Juen

@skinkrj1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I picked up the Crown V.C. 60 at the REI Seattle store earlier this week. They had 1 Long, which I got, and 2 Regulars. They also had some Blaze packs to compare side by side. So far I have gone on 2 hikes about 10 miles each and could not be happier. I upgraded from the old Jansport external frame pack. No more shoulder pain! The weight of the pack rested very comfortably on my hips the whole time with minimal adjustment needed. The pack comes with the Medium hip belt and I will need the Large. REI will not provide for an exchange of the hipbelt, therefore I will have to go to Granite Gear for that. Oh well.

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

I found a Crown large at REI yesterday and a Blaze small.
    I'm a 19" torso and the large was way too big, the shoulder straps were sewn to the pack ~ 2" above my shoulders. It had a M hipbelt and I had to pull the straps all the way for it to fit my 30" waist – with an empty pack. With 25 lbs in it, it might have been too big.
    I didn't load either of them as they didn't fit, but in regards to padding, I'd say the Blaze hipbelt is twice as thick and twice as rigid as the Crown hipbelt. The Crown hipbelt had a better fit somehow, at least with an empty pack.
    The shoulder straps on the Crown are just a bit wider and a bit more rigid than the Blaze, but also flat and less thick.
    The Crown back frame is pretty flexible. The Blaze back frame is more rigid, and flexes less. The Nimbus suspension doesn't flex at all – for comparison.
    The Crown large had about 2-1/2 lbs on the REI scale.

Hopefully I'll find a medium Crown in the future and load it.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools