Topic

Pop Bottle Potential

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pop Bottle Potential

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I haven't figured out how to incorporate this observation into my backpacking system but the potential looks good. Perhaps it will give you some ideas?

here

The pop bottle in the photo above fits perfectly over a cannister stove and also threads up to the Sawyer Squeeze Filter in a water tight way.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Stove carrier/protector that double duties as a gravity filter? Just punch two holes in the bottom (maybe reinforce them) and run a string through them…

Not sure how the "squeeze" filter would work in that situation though.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dustin,

I've turned the bottle upside down and filled it with water. The water runs easily through the filter without squeezing. Gravity is sufficient.

I think I could probably scoop water from a lake or stream with the bottle attached to the filter. Would probably get some dirty water on the filter, however. Not sure if it would matter. I could wipe the filter dry and then discard the first few ounces that came through the filter.

I alreay use the bottle (or one like it) as a stove carrier and have done so for many years. Carrying the stove assembled reduces the risk of cross threading it in the field during assembly.

I think your cord idea would work nicely too.

Daryl

Pete Forest

@againpeter

Locale: France Europe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0C-lSvbLT4

Maybe off topic, but inspiring..

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hey Pete,

Thanks for sharing that video.

It's sobering, inspiring and truly MYOG! :-)

It just goes to prove that there is some true genius left in this world.

Party On,

Newton

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Here's one idea that seems to work (at home anyway). Should work in the field but one never knows. It only takes seconds to do it but it is a little tricky to explain with words and photos alone. Here goes:

(1) (assuming we start from the photo shown in the original post above) Remove stove and filter from bottle.
    (2) Add a string to the bottle and add a bottle-end insert (cut from another bottle) to the group. See photo below:
    here

(3) Stick your finger in the bottle's spout and scoop up some dirty water from stream or lake. See photo below:
    here

(4) Shove the bottle-end insert into the bottle to hold water in the bottle. Invert the bottle and screw on filter. See photo below:
    here

(5) Hang bottle. Leave bottle-end insert in bottle until you are ready to fill something with clean water. Gravity will do the rest. See photos below:
    here

here

The rate of flow depends on amount of water in bottle. (i.e. more water = faster flow).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools