Topic

MYOG Wristies / Mitts (Merino)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Wristies / Mitts (Merino)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I've enjoyed everyone's wristies over at hammockforums.net. I suffer from hands that get cold, and STAY cold. That's despite being otherwise fairly hot-natured.

I've considered re-purposing old sweaters like others have done (and probably still will). I settled on a fluffy pair of merino wool socks that I picked up cheap and have been sitting around since I wear low-cut socks most of the time.

I cut a short slit for my thumb. Then I decided I could widen it slightly and I also have convertible mitts! I can fold back the "fingers" portion, tuck it under the (backhand-side) wrist flap. In addition the folded over part creates a double layer of fluffy merino for great warmth!

All I have to do for a nearly enclosed mitten is twist slightly & the nearly sealed thumb hole is in my palm.

Add my SUL ultra hi-tech WP overmitts (bread bags) or my OR WP mitts & I can stay warm in very cold & wet conditions.
    pic1
    pic2
    pic3
    pic4
    another
    pic
    ';klj
    jhg

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

That is very clever. I wonder if the hole could be positioned so that they could still be used as a sock. That would be a great multipurpose item.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Thanks Colin.

Yes, I forgot to mention they still work as sleep socks too. I prefer a loose sock for sleeping and snug fit for hiking to prevent blisters.

What I don't know is if the hold in the arch will make me cool down there…..I'm gonna find out though!

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I forgot to ask, did you do anything around the hole to prevent unraveling? I'd be afraid that the hole would get bigger over time.

Glad to hear that they can still be used as sleeping socks. I have a problem with cold fingers (Reynauds), and I will definitely try this.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Todd,

Great idea.

Where on the sock did you place the hole? Are these fitted socks or tube socks?

Daryl

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Colin,

I haven't "finished" the edges of the hole yet. That said I am surprised that it doesn't appear that it will unravel easily. I cut "across" the weave so the lines in the fabric seem to stop it from unraveling.

Of course, with time and use I'm certain it will unravel if not finished. I'm thinking stretchy tape (bias?) would be best here.

Suggestions?

Todd

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Thanks Daryl.

I'll post a pic later to show you where I placed the hole. These are fitted socks w/a defined heel, etc.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Very cool, I was looking for a more multi-use glove, this looks like the hot ticket. I'll have to try and make some soon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools