Topic

BD Firstlight vs. MH Direkt 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BD Firstlight vs. MH Direkt 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm pretty familiar with the features of the Firstlight (as well as reviews), but I'm curios about the Direkt 2. I've seen very little on it in way of reviews/field use. Basically, I'm saving up and browsing possible winter tent purchases for mountaineering next year. My criteria: 1-2 man (primarily used as a 1 man, but cramped for 2 is OK with me), freestanding, light, simple and fast setup. I know both of these tents are very short (I'm 6'2") but I'm willing to deal with it in return for weight.

The Direkt 2 appears pretty comparable in many regards, but is perhaps slightly more robust. Versus the Firstlight, here are the pros and cons I can see:

Pros:
    -slightly lighter (about 6 ounces: 2,15 vs. 3,5)…though 6 ounces is hardly a big deal to me for a winter tent.
    -apparently fully sealed/waterproof (PU coated vs. "breathable" nanoshield). Waterproofness of the Firstlight is still a question to me, as reviews of the Firstlight are very mixed. People I trust say it's waterproof. I'm wagering that many of the people that complain it leaks might not understand either seam sealing or condensation.
    -more tie outs; it has a mid tie out on the floor as well as a mid panel on the long sides. Betting it has better wind stability/strength due to this. This is the biggest selling point to me.
    -door entry could (?) be more snow-free; can unzip from bottom/side to facilitate crawling in from underneath as opposed to fully opening the Firslight's door.
    -slightly more headroom (making for steeper walls)

Cons:
    -cost $140 more ($399 for Direkt 2 vs. $259 Firstlight at Sunny Sports)
    -while it may be more waterproof (and that's ???) it's likely more condensation prone
    -apparently has no door mesh, though this isn't much an issue to me in winter
    -slightly less floorspace (Firstlight is1 inch longer, 3 inches wider. But because it's 3 inches shorter, the walls might slope slightly more making the "feel" similar).

Any thoughts on these two appreciated.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Got the direkt 2 for $310. I am also waiting for review .considering returning it. Very hard to setup and doesn't seems waterproof to me. Looks pretty Beeffy and pack super light.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Craig –

I have a BD Firstlight (see avatar). I really like it, but I do wish it was a little longer. I just fit in there.

I'm 6'-0".

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks guys.
    I'm going to hold off until next winter for one of these (if either). Will certainly wait until I can see the Direkt in person.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

With the winter we had (are having?), I too passed on making this decision.

I think I may order the Direkt 2 from REI. 20% off and 100% guarantee. I don't have anything else to buy, and may not want to wait for the next big coupon. There is such a lack of reviews though (neither good nor bad), and the BD Firstlight is proven.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

There are also the eVent wedge tents from Rab.

John Le

@jplblue

Locale: Northeast

Yep, and isn't the Nemo Quantum supposed to come out relatively soon? Little heavier than the Direkt 2, but vestibule space + more ventilation options.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

I am still debating whether or not to remove the tag on my tent and use it. i keep reminidng myself that on the bright side, you know a pro athlete (Ueli Steck) was involved in the design and testing of the tent. The fact that it is a really light tent is enough to convince me to keep it.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

@Noel – Use it and then let us know how it goes :)

I have used the BD HiLight with good results and I like the fact that the whole side opens up a la Ahwahnee.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

I saw a Direkt 2 set up in a store, and it is shockingly flimsy in one direction. Several times more flimsy than similar designs from MontBell.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

If it's gonna be true winter use, go with the BD. The Firstlight is a short tent, if the Direkt is even shorter forget it.

I think the Epic has the advantage with breath ability, super important if you are buttoned up or have 2 occupants.

The mesh on the door of the Firstlight does stop most of the spindrift from blowing in, a nice feature on those sunny spring days.

The only thing that needs to be added to both is a side panel mid height tie out like the heavier I-Tent has.

Anonymous
    Inactive

at 6'2" you will not will not tolerate for long the confines of the BD length. this is based on experience with my I-Tent which works for me using a regular length bag but there is no room to spare. there is another model in both the BD and Bibler lines that is longer but basically the same tent that you might want to take a peek at before buying.

David Ure

@familyguy

I would instead look at this one from Nemo:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-quantumelite-tent

Vestibule, sufficient room, optional snow curtain, closable vents…..

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

That Nemo looks pretty good on paper, thanks Dave. I'll have to find one in person and check it out before next winter.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

they measure length and width from corner to corner, but if you look you will see considerable belly (concavity) along the edges of the tent. while it measures 87 x 55 it's only 29 sq/ft where if you did the math you might expect 33 sq/ft. i have a bd lighthouse which works for me at 6'2" and my equally tall climbing partner. it's 5" narrower and 1" shorter than the nemo, but has almost an additional sq/ft of interior space and my long bag isn't pressed up against the end of the tent as bad asit will in the nemo. unless you really know what you want and what you are getting with the assault style tents you could be in for disappointment with how small some of them really are. remember who they are built for and where they are meant to go. they aren't made for everybody.

Paul Fleming

@skiyak777

I recently got a Direkt 2 and have used it on two trips for 6 nights total (Mt Whitney and Mt Shasta climbs.)

Setup is easy (although maybe not as easy as the EV-2, because you have to lay inside the tent and fasten velcro tabs over the poles to get them lines up with the reninforced sections of fabric. )

I am 6'4" and was worried that it would be too short for me, but that has not proven to be a problem. (I have been using it solo, so I can sleep at a slight diagonal.) It only has one vent, so with two people condensation might get to be a problem, especially if you can't orient the tent so that the vent is pointed at the wind. Solo, I didn't experience much condensation/internal frost even though it was 5 degrees overnight.

I haven't used it in rain or high winds, but it seems like if you used the guy-out points it would be pretty solid in wind. Overall I think its a great tent and will probably use it any time there is potential for bad weather which will make me hesitate to use my Betamid light, which although it is lighter, does not have a floor.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools