Topic

Has anyone put grommets in polycro?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Has anyone put grommets in polycro?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ben F

@tekhna

I'm thinking about making a groundsheet for my Copper Spur, and I'd like to put grommets in it for the poles, and even thinking about adding clips for fast-flying, but will the polycro just tear once it's tensed by the poles?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I'm going to bed since I'm TIRED. Just took my youngest to a Daddy-Daughter dance.

That's my excuse for not looking for the thread, but someone put grommets in their polycro tarp recently. Nylon washers, to be exact.

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Locale: SoCal

The technique. One inch wide Gorilla tape. Fold in half on both sides of tarp with one inch of tape to tape contact off tarp corner. The washer is sandwiched in the Gorilla tape just off corner. Punch hole in center of washer and viola! The tieout is stronger than the polycro.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

John – excellent suggestion re. grommets, but the groundsheet need to be smaller all around then the tent floor — with extensions coming out at each corner, and with a grommet at each end.

Considering that polycryo sheets will acquire pinholes and tears eventually, I don't think it's worth the time and effort cutting out one in precise dimensions, taping, adding grommets, etc.

If I really want a groundsheet for fast fly setup, etc. — I would buy a dedicated one — knowing the dimensions will be accurate and the grommets positioned just right — and heck, even the fast fly buckles will already be there!

And if I really want to cut weight, I would cut out the groundsheet, leaving only 1-2 inch wide nylon strips connecting between each grommet (picture a skeletal "Union Jack"). I will then apply short strips of velcro — one at each corner plus one at the X perhaps — then velcro a sheet of polycyro on top and cut away excess material.

The polycryo sheet can now be separated easily — and a new one applied when needed. Just keep a small supply of velcro strips handy (for the polycyro side).

EDIT: It's Polycryo by the way.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ben,

Here's a link to the recent discussion.

Daryl

here

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools