Topic

Don’t use jello for protein

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Don’t use jello for protein

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vivek chittineni

@vivek16

I just learned that gelatin is made from collagen and only consists of 3 amino acids (all non-essential).

In other words, using gelatin as a source of protein (as I've heard some of you talk about) is a bad idea. You're better off carrying powdered eggs or TVP.

Stay safe out there.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Or dehydrated bean flakes.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have better luck with dehydrated quinoa, dehydrated kidney beans, and dehydrated garbanzo beans.

–B.G.–

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

My hobo fishing kit is 80g and I have caught plenty of fish with it. Fish is a great source of protein, and weigh nothing in your pack, so long as you can catch them out there. Mmm… nothing like grilled perch on a stick.

Ben F

@tekhna

People were using jello for protein?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Two issues stopped me.

1) couldnt find a refrigerator light enough
    2) also couldnt find an extension cord long enough.

Dustin Judd
    BPL Member

@ddujnitsud

Bill Cosby might hear you.

Alan henson

@355spider

Locale: DFW

I can't believe people would really think you could eat Jello for protein. Beans don't have all the essential amino acids to make complete proteins in humans either. Add rice to it and you're there. Spirulina is a complete protein as well.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

For protein? really?

Not only is jello grosss – since it's really just ground bovine hoof, water, sugar, artificial flavors and colors – but how would it ever qualify as a protein source?

Plus, so many great protein options exist. In addition to soy protein sports drink mixes or bars, there are nuts, tofu, dehydrated legumes, quinoa and couscous, etc.

So much better and so easy to carry!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Just bring real protein. They make foil pouches of tuna and salmon you can find in most grocery stores. Sometimes you can find chicken (you can't say the b-word here, but it's the body part that starts with a b) and, god forbid, spam slices in foil pouches, too. The other day I found cooked duck legs at an Asian store and some stuff that can be only described as pork fluff. Looks like brown cotton candy. Also lots of dried fish, including dried whole fish like anchovy or squid. But yeah, hooks and some velveeta or other bait is probably going to be the best protein, if you can catch it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools